Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic trans flush questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default automatic trans flush questions

so its time for a trans flush on my 06 GT, and a couple of the local shops i checked with say they dont have the tool needed to fill these transmissions up with fluid. i dont know exactly what tool they are talking about, but i have a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer and if im lucky i can just drain everything and fill it myself.

A) what the hell kind of tool would you possibly need to put fluid in the tranny.

2) is there a drain plug on the converter.

D) how do you check fluid level to know when its full.

the plan would be to drop the pan and change the filter, unhook the tranny cooler lines and blow most of the old fluid out, and drain the converter. that should remove *most* of the old fluid.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

And then you will need to get it towed to Ford to fill it.

These cars doesn't have a stick or filling tube, it only has a hole on the bottom/side you use to empty/fill the trans. Oil has to be pumped up and let it drip until it stops, that is the level check up. Maybe someone has come with a solution or a home made tool but as far as I know this is a dealership only type of job.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
JimC

There is a tool that you can get, I just bought it off Amazon. Look for the OTC6604 Ford Transmissin Fluid Fill Adapter; you take out the drain plug and the tool screws in and then you pump the fluid in until it starts to drain out (after putting the new filter in place and the pan back on of course). There is also a write up on the forum.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by my77stang
so its time for a trans flush on my 06 GT, and a couple of the local shops i checked with say they dont have the tool needed to fill these transmissions up with fluid. i dont know exactly what tool they are talking about, but i have a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer and if im lucky i can just drain everything and fill it myself.

A) what the hell kind of tool would you possibly need to put fluid in the tranny.

2) is there a drain plug on the converter.

D) how do you check fluid level to know when its full.

the plan would be to drop the pan and change the filter, unhook the tranny cooler lines and blow most of the old fluid out, and drain the converter. that should remove *most* of the old fluid.
On newer cars you may as well go to a place and have them do a Automatic Transmission Power Flush. Much better than a drain and fill even with draining the converter. Essentially they hook up a machine to the drain and somewhere else in line (probably tranny cooler) and force clean transmission fluid through until it comes out clean the other end (drain end). It's kind of expensive but it does a much better job than a drain and refill.

Oh and if you have less than 50K miles you're wasting your money.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Yep. Had the dealership do mine. 106K miles. I didn't want to pull the pan. Flush 'n fill.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:38 PM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

You guys should get the PA Trans pan with dipstick, It holds four extra quarts, You trans will run cooler and be easy to change.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 AM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

How much is the PA trans pan? Think my car is due for this and might as well upgrade
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

we have about 60k on the car so its a good time to change it. i'd like to change the filter as well, and it seems like all the shops around here dont change them as part of their power flush service.

im still a little confused about the filling thing. where exactly does it drip from when its full? if its on the side why cant you fill it from there? please elaborate a little more for me.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

1) Yep, I have to agree that a powerflush, as long as they have the right type of luid, would be alot easier.

2) The fitting you need that Ford charges you $22 for can be purchased at alocal hardware store for less than $5. It's merely a hose fitting. You can pump in your tranny fluid using a hose. Put the hose into the the bottom of a bottle of tranny fluid, and using an air compressor set to 30 psi or less pump air into the bottle, which will force the fluid out.

3) Here's Ford's way. http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...ain%20Plug.pdf
Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

ok, i think i know how to approach this. according to the pdf file posted above there is no torque converter drain plug. how can i get it out? i am thinking about removing the pan, unhooking one of the trans cooler lines, and then starting the car just long enough for the fluid thats in the converter to come out.

Quick Reply: automatic trans flush questions