Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted vs. Underhood

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Like you, I was convinced the rear mount turbo was a good way to go. I purchased the STS twin turbo kit for my car, had it installed roughly five months and went back to stock. For the first month, when everything worked the way it was supposed to, the car was scary fast. I could light up the tires in fourth gear at 65mph. Unfortunately, the scavange pump that STS uses to return oil to the engine began to fail on a regular basis and STS had neither an explanation or a solution. The car sat on jackstands for almost three months while I went back and forth with STS tech support. Everything was installed correctly, and they wanted me to take a test drive that was 99.9% certain to leave me on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I was unwilling to take that test drive and they stopped responding to my e-mails and phone calls. They refused to replace the scavange pump. They had me send it to them, they re-conditioned the pump, told me it checked out and sent it back to me only to fail in the same manner on my first drive out. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH STS!!!! They are happy to take your money and then do absolutely nothing usefull when you run into problems....and unwilling to refund or replace when they can't come up with a solution. I was told something must be wrong with my car. I took the kit off and have been driving without issue for eight months now. It takes them a minimum of three days to respond, and they offer no tech support on weekends. Anyone who tries to tell you that STS has resolved it's issues with their oil return system is just plain wrong. If the scavenge pump fails, you will have to have the car towed. This setup would be great for a trackstar, but if the car is you daily driver and only car, I highly recommend an underhood setup or one of the many supercharger options.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
it was alot of work,least you could do it read the thread,lol, it was worth it for me. i like to be able to say i did it all myself and it turned out great.

thought i already did that? i went under the hood because i wanted to pop my hood at shows and have something to show off. turbo is expensive and it would suck to expalin to someone that its up under the car and not be able to show it off.

you cant believe everything you read on the internet about different set ups, as far as i know with the sts you would not have any mufflers, the 2 exhaust piping from the front would go into one pipe up where the original h-pipe was, that one would be feeding the turbo, then out of the turbo your downpipe would stick out of one side of the bumper as a tip, then the wastegate pipe would go to the other side of the bumper as another tip.there would be no "unequal backpressure", LOL.

***** you've contributed a bunch. I'm thankful for that, believe me. The reason of the "uneven back pressure" wasn't why I began to steer away from STS. It's just that the location of the turbo. I don't feel comfortable with it being there. Plus, like you said, spending all that money on a turbo and then you can't even show it off. You do have a great point.

Originally Posted by 07 S197
Hellion all the way
I'll look into it. Would you want to go into details about why you chose Hellion, the price you paid, etc. etc.?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
Like you, I was convinced the rear mount turbo was a good way to go. I purchased the STS twin turbo kit for my car, had it installed roughly five months and went back to stock. For the first month, when everything worked the way it was supposed to, the car was scary fast. I could light up the tires in fourth gear at 65mph. Unfortunately, the scavange pump that STS uses to return oil to the engine began to fail on a regular basis and STS had neither an explanation or a solution. The car sat on jackstands for almost three months while I went back and forth with STS tech support. Everything was installed correctly, and they wanted me to take a test drive that was 99.9% certain to leave me on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I was unwilling to take that test drive and they stopped responding to my e-mails and phone calls. They refused to replace the scavange pump. They had me send it to them, they re-conditioned the pump, told me it checked out and sent it back to me only to fail in the same manner on my first drive out. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH STS!!!! They are happy to take your money and then do absolutely nothing usefull when you run into problems....and unwilling to refund or replace when they can't come up with a solution. I was told something must be wrong with my car. I took the kit off and have been driving without issue for eight months now. It takes them a minimum of three days to respond, and they offer no tech support on weekends. Anyone who tries to tell you that STS has resolved it's issues with their oil return system is just plain wrong. If the scavenge pump fails, you will have to have the car towed. This setup would be great for a trackstar, but if the car is you daily driver and only car, I highly recommend an underhood setup or one of the many supercharger options.
My local shop owner never said anything about the oil return system, he did however have a STS on his 95 cobra and then removed it because of an engine swap. But definitely after reading this I think I might definitely steer towards an under-hood kit. Just need to find the right one..

Thanks for everyone's input btw. Keep it coming.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
blackcrow

Wow! what a bad trip breathegood... its amazing how a small company would be willing to damage their rep on an oil pump! I can relate, 'cause I've been wrenching for a while now and this stuff just keeps on happening. I'll pass it on...
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

That's really interesting..
Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackcrow
Wow! what a bad trip breathegood... its amazing how a small company would be willing to damage their rep on an oil pump! I can relate, 'cause I've been wrenching for a while now and this stuff just keeps on happening. I'll pass it on...
Even after they had verified (with photos and telephone walkthroughs) that everything was installed correctly, the response the kept giving me was

"We've got over 200 of these kits across the country and no-one is reporting the problems you are having."

So I got a lemon and it's my problem. No refunds, no exchanges, no offers to send a tech to my location to check it out, no offers to flatbed the car to Utah to check it out, I'm just left with an $8500 pile of parts that does nothing but blow smoke and oil out of the tailpipes and a statement of
"There must be something else wrong with your car"
Only a year old with less than 7,000 miles.......I don't think it's the car.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Wow, that's really disappointing.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Buy a Whipple, they stand behind it.

I'd buy a turbo from powerhouse if you have to have one.