Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up Rattle by the Link of MGW shifter! ***FIXED*** Check Last entry!!!!

I have some rattle in the dash. It sound like something plastic vibrating. I took everything out of the glove compartment the vizor's and the cup holder no difference. I took off the wipers and removed the plastic covers infront of the windshield and vacumed, no change.
I found a wire in a metal shield rubbing on a metal brake line and making some similar noise, i tied it with a rubber band under the break fluid container. Still no difference. Actually it may have gotten worse. I think I may have something fallen inside the Windshield defroster. Anyone knows how to get access to it?

I am enclosing the pictures of the cable I found rattling just in case it helps someone else.
It is the wire in the silverish cover.

UPDATE
The rattle was from the link arm of the MGW shifter. It was from the side that bolts on the shifter. Despite the fact that the botlts where tight, there was play room for the link to rattle. Took off the bolts and the bracket rapped the link bar with aluminium air duct tape and rebolted. Do not use Dynomat as previously advised... it melts away...Rattle solved.

Last edited by vasman; 05-08-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Fixed the Problem UPDATE!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Narrowed it down to the side panels of the center console. Will investigate again tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Narrowed it down to the side panels of the center console. Will investigate again tomorrow.
Good news is, there easy to get on/off. Let us know what it was and what you did to fix it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Luxembourger

The TSB was of no use ?

http://francesco.maxdsl.de/documents...B/08-24-10.pdf
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I have a rattle in the very center of my dash aswell, i gotta fix it one of these days, it annoys the hell out of me. I think i also have a rattle on the front driverside dash/door
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 AM
05fastblk
2nd Gear Member

have the same rattle in the drivers side. its annoying as hell, i have to listen to my music loud half the time! then it goes away and then comes back a few days later. i hate it!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

I HATE the damn rattle!

Naturally, my car started rattling right AFTER the warranty expired. I usually hear it more when it's cold out, but not all the time. Usually it's more noticeable when I'm stopped at a light. It definitely is somewhere in the dash... I don't know where, but somewhere. I wouldn't want to try and take the dash apart myself so I'm probably going to have to take it in or something at some point. Unexcusable.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Look under your car at the mid-exhuust pipe hangers. If your pipes have hangers that use them, there is a simple tsb for fixing rattles there, which inside sound like it's coming from the center console. The fix is to put a worm clamp around the rubber hander, giving it more strength and keeping the hanger rod from hitting metal.

Also, check the trim around the console to make sure not if it is rattling; I've had issues with some of it doing a little rattling now and then, but nothing as loud and noisy as the exhaust hangers (roughly under the seats).
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Look under your car at the mid-exhuust pipe hangers. If your pipes have hangers that use them, there is a simple tsb for fixing rattles there, which inside sound like it's coming from the center console. The fix is to put a worm clamp around the rubber hander, giving it more strength and keeping the hanger rod from hitting metal.

Also, check the trim around the console to make sure not if it is rattling; I've had issues with some of it doing a little rattling now and then, but nothing as loud and noisy as the exhaust hangers (roughly under the seats).
They updated the tsb and said to cut the hanger mounts off the transmission crossmember.
They are supposed to be a production aid and are not needed.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmk3
They updated the tsb and said to cut the hanger mounts off the transmission crossmember.
They are supposed to be a production aid and are not needed.
Do you have the new tsb print out for that?

Quick Reply: Rattle in Dash