Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18's vs 20's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
lol @ some of the post in here.....

OP if you are really judging buying your rims because your worried about a ricer beating you by a nose then maybe you should go for power mods then? Your going to be pretty upset if you go with 18's and still get beat by a ricer....

lol @ bling and the thug nonsence....its 2009 get with it, you think companys who put factory 20's on do it cause they think its going to atract the thug crowd? no they do it cause MAJORITY likes it and it will increase sales and the look of the car, get real. I have flat black 20's and you tell me what is bling about flat black? They are also lighter then the stock shelby 18's.

The new ZR1 comes stock with 20's and you tell me where the bling factor and thugs relate to a ZR1 corvette wich I must say is the baddest car out right now for the bucks.

All the guys who dont likes 20's the only real reason IMO you have is that you like the look of a smaller wheel and that is all not because of performance and this and that because if it was you all would be rocking 17's???? why 18's if you can run 17's and get better performance? oh the rim is not wide enough for the tire you want? Get the rim widened...

Truth is once upon a time 20s were big slugish rims but now adays not the case at all and the ZR1 is the perfect example that 20's can be used and will contiune to be added to higher performing veichles.

to the OP just buy what you want and who cares about half of the crap people posted in here, in reality always somebody faster regardless of what rims you have, you may beat that ricer one day by a nose then his buddy with the same car but a better tune will beat you buy a nose then what? you dwell on your purchase of 18's and think you should of went with 17's lol...

just my 2 cents
Well if people wouldnt care what people cared in here there wouldnt be hardly any threads on mustangforums!! He just wanted the ups and downs of both 18's and 20's!
Also dont compare a 600+hp lightweight supercar with that of a heavier, 300hp, mustang!! O and the ZR1 has 19's up front so i guess they decided it aint to good to have 20's all around
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I think the point is being missed. Which is to say that the 20s usually do end up costing you some straight line performance all else being equal. Two rims of equal construction and material - the 18 will weigh less than the 20. Ofcourse you can cherry pick and compare a heavy 18" wheel to a light 20" wheel. Maybe the vehicles you mentioned might go faster yet without the 20s. There are other considerations and the look of the 20s is popular though I honestly don't understand why.

And there are people that do drive around on drag radials on the street.
D/R are not slicks..... and thats what serious guys run at the track with skinnys upfront, if your a true hard core you dont go to the track with your 18's either you got some bogarts and skinnys.

cherry pick? lol how is that cherry picking a stock shelby wheel ? sure I cherry picked my rims because thats what I wanted but in no way did I worry about the weight of the rim , they just happen to weigh less.

"look of the 20s is popular though I honestly don't understand why" personal choice is all, just like I dont understand why guys like lil rims and big sidewall to fill the wheel gap I think the 20's do a much better job rather then a wad of tire. but thats just me
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
stangboy555
2nd Gear Member

20"s FTMFW!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SikO7GT
Well if people wouldnt care what people cared in here there wouldnt be hardly any threads on mustangforums!! He just wanted the ups and downs of both 18's and 20's!
Also dont compare a 600+hp lightweight supercar with that of a heavier, 300hp, mustang!! O and the ZR1 has 19's up front so i guess they decided it aint to good to have 20's all around
vettes have larger rims in the rear compared to the front and if it wasnt a good idea they would of stuck with what they had on the others 19 and 18's, thanks for the tip on the ZR1 but I have driven one more the a few times already and am well aware of the rims the car has on it.

I though this was a technical forum, there are no feelings in techincal discussions is there? Majority of peoples replys are always personal preferance and they try to persuade you to what they like or think rather then giving the OP legit facts they give them dumb **** like "bling" and thug" lol when in reality thats there mind set and that is it.

Its a pissing contest knowbody will win just like the s/c turbo questions.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Mishri
hehe.. When I was in highschool all my friends wanted 17" wheels (and that was considered big) on their mustangs and other sporty cars.. now everything is coming with 17s and people are wanting 20s.. just get ahead of the curve and get some 28" rims...
LOL - From my hometown...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZvD1auq1lM

FWIW - Do your own performance comparison. Check out tirerack.com and look at the weight of the stock rim vs. what you are considering, also taking into consideration the weight of the tires. Then check the diameter of your wheel (which will determine how wide of a tire you can use). Unsprung mass is the primary performance killer. If the difference is negligible, you are probably not going to see a big difference. On the other hand, adding 20Lbs to each corner will definitely slow you down.

AFAIK - Beauty is still in the eye of the beholder. Go with what you like. There is nothing wrong with "Thug" or "Bling" or even "Spinners" (Sorry Norm ) if that is what floats your boat. If someone doesn't like it, well it ain't their ride
Old 04-17-2009, 06:39 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Spinners on a mustang?? I have yet to see that!! But i am guilty of going up to a truck with spinners and spinning them!! HEHE
Let's not all act like i have been the only one to do that!!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

FWIW, caution rented out a dyno and did run with 18s and 20s. The 20s lost him an average of 8rwhp on the dyno.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Oh yah you can "argue" all you want with people about what looks better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. FWIW I think the 20s look better than say a 15. So given a choice between the two extremes I'd go with the former.

The facts as I laid out in that previous post are incontrovertible. Given equal construction the 20 will weigh more and give you less sidewall. Whether on the street or on the track that will cost you performance.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
lol @ some of the post in here.....

lol @ bling and the thug nonsence....its 2009 get with it, you think companys who put factory 20's on do it cause they think its going to atract the thug crowd? no they do it cause MAJORITY likes it and it will increase sales and the look of the car, get real. I have flat black 20's and you tell me what is bling about flat black? They are also lighter then the stock shelby 18's.

The new ZR1 comes stock with 20's and you tell me where the bling factor and thugs relate to a ZR1 corvette wich I must say is the baddest car out right now for the bucks.
Nobody is saying that any of the factories are now putting 20's on to attract that crowd. Only that the trend to do so started there. Imitation of that which is seen as "bad" is common to more than just wheel size.

Asking people with other opinions "get with it" because "it's 2009" is nothing more than a demand that they change their mind to suit your opinion. Not a valid argument for wheel size choice, and I would resist that just on general principles.

All the guys who dont likes 20's the only real reason IMO you have is that you like the look of a smaller wheel and that is all not because of performance and this and that because if it was you all would be rocking 17's???? why 18's if you can run 17's and get better performance? oh the rim is not wide enough for the tire you want? Get the rim widened...
Want the truth? A 3500 lb car does not even need 18" wheels and 27" tall tires either. I'd have been more than happy if the top choice for '08 had been something like 285/40-17, on wheels 10" wide or so. The ONLY reason I have the 18's on my '08 is because I find it easier to cope with wheels that are an inch too big than tires that are at least 5 profile too tall on wheels half an inch too narrow.

Truth is once upon a time 20s were big slugish rims but now adays not the case at all and the ZR1 is the perfect example that 20's can be used and will contiune to be added to higher performing veichles.
I've agreed previously. But the mfrs are just following the easy money, which itself is only following the buyer desire to project that particular "attitude" and the image in most cases. The only real, physical necessity for wheels that big would come from having brakes that won't fit under anything smaller.

to the OP just buy what you want and who cares about half of the crap people posted in here, in reality always somebody faster regardless of what rims you have, you may beat that ricer one day by a nose then his buddy with the same car but a better tune will beat you buy a nose then what? you dwell on your purchase of 18's and think you should of went with 17's lol...
All true. But the OP is fishing for opinions, and this is a rather hot-button topic. I could probably show that a particular 20" combination would have slightly better acceleration than some particular 18" combination, if I had enough data to work with. The comparative math isn't that difficult. That would probably be the exception to the rule, but it's at least possible. I could probably also show that the average 20 setup costs "X" amount of time in a 20 - 60 2nd gear sprint, and "Y" amount in the quarter vs 18's. Just so you know, I have already developed a spreadsheet that will do precisely this type of comparison.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Given the fact the OP will not be racing, you all can STOP debating the performance aspects of the rims.