Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when to change fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Default when to change fluids?

i recently just touched over 18,000 in my car.

i have done the 15k service, but was wondering what various fluids i should refill, if the dealer hasn't already.

when i start my car and turn the steering wheel from left to right and back, it makes a weird sound, as if i'm out of p/s fluid.

this was a huge problem in my 01 mbz ml320 as they had a recall for a faulty o-ring, and i had to re-fill p/s fluid every other week until they fixed it

this is my first car all to myself (the benz was a high-school car given to me after my mom drove it for a year) and i want to make sure that i'm taking great care of it.

thanks

-r3v
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

If the steering is making a noise, take it back to the dealer and let them resolve the issue. You are still under warranty.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

hahaha, there's a kick to the head. why didn't i think of that. thanks

also, does my warranty cover a dead-bulb inside the cabin?

the only light that turns on is the little green one when i pull the **** to get the fogs on.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You shouldn't be making a point of turning the steering wheel on a car with power steering wheel it's at a standstill. It puts too much strain on the PS unit.

What did they do at the 15K mile service? If you're changing your oil at a proper frequency, the only other thing you need to do is keep your windsheild washer reservoir from going empty.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Yes. It covers everything for the period of the warranty.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You shouldn't be making a point of turning the steering wheel on a car with power steering wheel it's at a standstill. It puts too much strain on the PS unit.

What did they do at the 15K mile service? If you're changing your oil at a proper frequency, the only other thing you need to do is keep your windsheild washer reservoir from going empty.
i don't try to do it, it's when i start my car, i have to back out then turn the wheel to get out of my driveway. so at that point, it makes funny sounds. i just figured it was the car still needing to warm up.

they performed the multi-pt inspection, checked the brakes, gave me a failing grade for bald tires, checked battery, put in a new filter, and 6 qts of oil. i'm pretty sure that's it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by owero01
Yes. It covers everything for the period of the warranty.
sweet. thanks a bunch. i was a little skeptical because when i initially got the car, i asked them whether or not the clutch and brakes were replaceable and he said with the esp they are. then i asked if i could replace them whenever i wanted and he said yes, maximum of 3 a year. so my mom bought that for me. at around 8k i wanted to change it for fun and they said no go. i was definitely upset. so i filed for a return on my esp plan on the notion that the dealer was too sneaky.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
P51A

Default Coverage

Originally Posted by r3velation
sweet. thanks a bunch. i was a little skeptical because when i initially got the car, i asked them whether or not the clutch and brakes were replaceable and he said with the esp they are. then i asked if i could replace them whenever i wanted and he said yes, maximum of 3 a year. so my mom bought that for me. at around 8k i wanted to change it for fun and they said no go. i was definitely upset. so i filed for a return on my esp plan on the notion that the dealer was too sneaky.
It’s been my experience with most all coverage plans normal wear and tear items like the clutch and breaks are not covered. However they should be covered for defects etc.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51A
It’s been my experience with most all coverage plans normal wear and tear items like the clutch and breaks are not covered. However they should be covered for defects etc.
all i'm saying is that it's not a good tactic to practice to sell someone something. it's unethical and just wastes my time. i know i know, most dealers just do it to sell, but still, gets me uneasy to trust them sometimes. especially if there is something legitimately wrong with my car.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

bald tires at 18k? how hard are you driving your car?

Quick Reply: when to change fluids?