Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently S197s were designed for the desert

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

There are harnesses all over the car that are exposed to moisture, ever look under the hood?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thuxel
I live in the desert.
What is this water you speak of?
I lol'd

In theory it's a poor idea but in real life there are no issues, therefore no problem
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

It would be good to compare other cars to see how this runoff is done. How about how it's designed on the Fusion? Is it the same?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I'm gonna try another analogy here:

It's raining out.

You're walking down the street carrying an umbrella. You're staying reasonably dry.

To your right is a house, the downspout for the rain gutter is broken off, and all the water that's landing on the roof is being channeled by what's left of the gutter to one corner of the roof, and it's all pouring out like Niagara Falls.

To your left is a tree.

Now, umbrella or not, are you going to stand under the rain gutter where all the water's pouring out, or are you going to stand under the tree?

Ford would have you stand under the rain gutter.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I understand what the concern is, but Ford knows it won't be an issue and it's just simpler to make it the way it is.

Getting water on and around parts on a car is just a fact of life. The solution is to make those parts water proofed. Carefully routing drains is a waste of time. Even if you did re-route this section so water goes somewhere else, those harnesses and light sockets are still going to get water on them at some point. Either from washing, rain splashing up, etc.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Another thing, as long as you don't drive with your trunk open, not much water is going to go down there anyway. The only time a decent amount of water will run off there is if you hold a water hose to the trunk gaps or dump a bucket of water on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

"The only time a decent amount of water will run off there is if you hold a water hose to the trunk gaps or dump a bucket of water on it."

See, that's just it. That's where we're not understanding each other. A LOT of water goes down there every time it rains, you wash the car, whatever. The back of the car is designed to channel water to that exact spot. It's not that Ford didn't put any thought into where the water drains when the car gets wet. They did. The car is built to drain water there, not accidentally, intentionally. When water rolls off the back window, or along the channels that are around the window, it then goes under the trunk lid and runs along the two channels on the sides of the trunk to eventually drain behind the tail light. That's exactly where they WANT all the water to go.

Then they put a light socket there.

Next time you wash the car you'll see exactly what I mean.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by thuxel
I live in the desert.
What is this water you speak of?
LMAFO....that was funny....
Originally Posted by digitalcos
"The only time a decent amount of water will run off there is if you hold a water hose to the trunk gaps or dump a bucket of water on it."

See, that's just it. That's where we're not understanding each other. A LOT of water goes down there every time it rains, you wash the car, whatever. The back of the car is designed to channel water to that exact spot. It's not that Ford didn't put any thought into where the water drains when the car gets wet. They did. The car is built to drain water there, not accidentally, intentionally. When water rolls off the back window, or along the channels that are around the window, it then goes under the trunk lid and runs along the two channels on the sides of the trunk to eventually drain behind the tail light. That's exactly where they WANT all the water to go.

Then they put a light socket there.

Next time you wash the car you'll see exactly what I mean.
I totally understand your point and the fact that you pointed it out to all the members that see this thread but I would like to know if that design has caused your rear tail light to go out or if you believe that was the cause? thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Uh, well, actually... I think the bulb just burned out on it's own.

Does this make me the guy at the party who's all "This sucks! Somebody stole my sunglasses! What the hell?! I can't believe it!", only to have someone walk up and point to them on top of my head?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

I thought about it a long time ago too and thought the same thing as you did!!
I was drying the car and noticed there was nothing covering the wire harness too and thought to myself they could have done it differently too!!
I see what your saying man but as long as it doesnt hurt the harness i guess in the end it doesnt matter!!

Ford could of been cool and re-routed all of the cars drains to go straight to a hydro-electric mini power thingamajig and make the car greener!! (hint hint) Ford

Quick Reply: Apparently S197s were designed for the desert