Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Jacking up the car / problems with ramps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Default Jacking up the car / problems with ramps

Is there a good point to use to jack up the front of the car to use jack stands?

I tried on one side, but I couldn't get it far enough up. I ended up having to use the ramps.

Speaking of which, I had a B**ch of a time getting the ramps to stay in place while I drove the car on them. WTF.

There's got to be an easier way, and I'm just overlooking it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I prefer ramps for ease of use. Try positioning it so that your car has to drive uphill to get on to the ramps. When I use the ramps, I just wedge them under the tires and make sure they are straight before i drive on. They dont move. To jack up the car, use the jacking points on the frame rail where the owners manual tells you to. You can see these places where the stock jack would fit.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem with ramps, they just kept slipping... so now I borrow my buddy's big jack. It's WAY better than the one that comes with the spare tire kit.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0239000P?mv=rr
Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

My ramps worked great the first few times. Now the car just pushes them forward. Even with somebody standing on them.

Sometimes I put 2x4s in front of them with one end of the 2x4s against the concrete base of my garage.

Sometimes I just get out the jack (cheap fairly small hydraulic floor jack, not from the trunk). I can jack each front tire up by the height of 2 boards. Remove the jack, then put the jack on top of a board and jack again. 3 boards is enough for most stuff I want to do.

I have also put jack stands under the K member. But I don't like using jack stands at all on this car. Places I want to put the jack do'n't fit the C-shape on top of the stands. I don't like stands holding the car up by its fingertips.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jasoon
Is there a good point to use to jack up the front of the car to use jack stands?

I tried on one side, but I couldn't get it far enough up. I ended up having to use the ramps.

Speaking of which, I had a B**ch of a time getting the ramps to stay in place while I drove the car on them. WTF.

There's got to be an easier way, and I'm just overlooking it.
I've got ramps. Had the same problem. Found out that the driveway is rougher than the garage floor, slip and slide in the gararge, in the driveway the car just goes right up the ramp, no slip, no slide, no problem
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even on the finished garage floor, my ramps never move. Maybe it's the rubber feet on the Rhino Ramps...

Pay attention to the warnings in the Owners Manual regarding those places where you should and shouldn't lift the vehicle at.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Even on the finished garage floor, my ramps never move. Maybe it's the rubber feet on the Rhino Ramps...

Pay attention to the warnings in the Owners Manual regarding those places where you should and shouldn't lift the vehicle at.
I have the same and mine never have slipped either.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Yeah mine are rhino ramps from advance auto parts. they are only like 60 bucks and well worth the money. Those things are soooooo much more sturdy than jack stands.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Eh? Ramps are more "sturdy" than jack stands? What is that supposed to mean?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OK guys, a little rain on your parade...
How do you do brakes with your ramps??

Quick Reply: Jacking up the car / problems with ramps