Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Prochamber, need Opinions on X or H

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a Prochamber, need Opinions on X or H

Need some opinions here. I have MAC Long Tubes, Prochamber with Pypes Catalytics, and MBRP axlebacks. My question is, for anyone using SSS, Stingers, FRPP, Steeda, or Powerflos, which mid pipe do you prefer?

Like I mentioned, I have the prochamber right now, but personally, I don't think it sounds that good at lower speeds. To me, the exhaust tone sounds like "mush" from inside the car. Its not until I get above 2500rpms or so until I can hear the true tone of the mufflers.

I feel I'm hearing more resonance coming from the prochamber underneath than I hear the exhaust. Almost like its a deadspot. I know partially this is from being catted, but that can't be helped right now. I have to leave it catted right now. When I had my MAC mufflers, it was a different story. It sounded pretty good at all speeds, but the MACs were not *** restrictive as most other mufflers. They were just too loud for my situation.

I just think the Prochamber is better suited for a box/chambered muffler rather than a straight thru design like my MBRP's. Don't get me wrong, I love the deepness of the MBRP over my MACs. And the tone I abolutely love, but it isn't really defined until you get it above roughly 2500rpms.

So with that in mind, I'm in a tossup of trying an X or H setup. Both are cheap. I'll still use the existing elbow tubes from my MAC setup. They connected to my headers right now. These also have the cats welded to them. So, all I "SHOULD" have to do is slide the new mid section into the hangers and bolt it up. Some minor fitting may be required I'm sure.

I know the rules, X is typically raspier and smoother tone, H is deeper and more poppy. But I've heard some catted X setups in the past, with more traditional style mufflers and was amazed at just how deep an X can really sound on our cars.

I think both will sound good at WOT. Hell even straight pipe does, but what I really want is for it to give the mufflers more audible tone while at lower rpms.

Opinions?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what you want is the h pipe. it will be deeper and a little louder than the x. i have an x w/ M80's and MBRP deletes and it is pretty deep, but if i were to do it over i would go w/ the h pipe for even more deepness.
got any sound clips of your exhaust, yours is pretty unique and would love to hear it.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Catted x will sound awesome!!
Every think about getting the pypes mid muffler??
I heard a clip on youtube of ARH Long tubes, catted x, and pypes mm system and it is the BEST sounding S197 exhaust i have heard on youtube!!
IDK what it would sound with the MAC LT's but i imagine it would be similar!!

Last edited by SikO7GT; 04-29-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8
Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Ive run both a catted H and X with borlas which are strait-through like your MBRPs...and I prefered the H-pipe hands down! much deeper and defined. any H or X pipe should mate up to your MAC pipe with a little measuring and cutting very easily( thats how I switched from the X to H)
Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
what you want is the h pipe. it will be deeper and a little louder than the x. i have an x w/ M80's and MBRP deletes and it is pretty deep, but if i were to do it over i would go w/ the h pipe for even more deepness.
got any sound clips of your exhaust, yours is pretty unique and would love to hear it.
Just search Youtube for my ID: djclay77

You'll find all my exhaust clips including my MBRP ones.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

if not a prochamber then i say h i think the x has a more raspy sound
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I hope I don't have the same issue since I just put on the prochamber with the corsa exhaust. I guess we soon shall see :P
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I am running a prochamber with hi-flow cats and magnapacks, which are a straight through design. I personally love the sound of this set-up. Maybe the LTs are affecting the sound of the OPs set-up.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
I hope I don't have the same issue since I just put on the prochamber with the corsa exhaust. I guess we soon shall see :P
I don't think you will. Reason I say this is my problem is entirely with the muffler. MBRP's in comparison are longer than SSS, Stingers, Steed, etc......

Therefore there is more of a perforated core to it, making is more restrictive. And not saying the prochamber is more restrictive than an H or X, but I just don't think it works best for these mufflers. For regular chamber box mufflers, hands down the prochamber is awesome.

Quick Reply: Got a Prochamber, need Opinions on X or H