Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery - Will Ford Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Default Dead Battery - Will Ford Cover?

So my 06 GT now has the problem where my battery full discharges after sitting for 3-5 days. I read the TSB and it indicates that it is not a warranty condition....but it is refering to vehicles that are being stored for 30+ days and not driven long distances (neither which apply to me).

What do I tell my dealer to get this fixed?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IF you're still under warranty, you might be able to convince them to replace the battery but I really doubt you'll have that luck.

Your battery is 3 years old which is the "typical" useful life of the average OE battery. It's quite likely that you've reached it's normal end-of-life especially if you do a lot of city style driving. Considering it's the OE Motorcrap battery, I think you did well.

You probably are aware that the amp in the Shaker system will continue to draw power while the ignition is off if the sound system was left on when the car was turned off. Many a battery have died from this alone. And there are other normal loads on the battery with the engine off so a marginal battery will fail even more prematurely.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alumacomp
So my 06 GT now has the problem where my battery full discharges after sitting for 3-5 days. I read the TSB and it indicates that it is not a warranty condition....but it is refering to vehicles that are being stored for 30+ days and not driven long distances (neither which apply to me).

What do I tell my dealer to get this fixed?
They covered mine. The car died within 4 days of inactivity. They found one of the cells shorted and replaced under warranty.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

My 2 1/2 year old battery would run down after sitting for about 4 days. The dealer tried to charge it, but it would not hold a charge. I got a new battery under warranty.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You probably are aware that the amp in the Shaker system will continue to draw power while the ignition is off if the sound system was left on when the car was turned off. Many a battery have died from this alone. And there are other normal loads on the battery with the engine off so a marginal battery will fail even more prematurely.
Yeah I read about the Shaker thing so made sure the radio was off when I stored it during the winter. Car only has 3000 miles on it, seems unfortunate that I have to be replacing the battery.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Should be covered if you have a warrantee. Since my car sits alot and I really don't drive it much I got a Optima 6 cell Gel battery, had no problems at all this winter, my car sat in the garage months at a time without starting it. Maybe you should consider that?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

What is it with 2006 model fords and batteries? My 06 escape had the same issues. And after a month in and out of the dealership it ended up being a bad battery.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

At best they will prorate the replacement, especially if the car is out of warranty. I'm not sure if the battery is warranteed for 36 or 48 months. Look through your warranty paperwork, and you will see the battery, like the tires are backed by the OE manufacturer. In this case, it will probably be Motorcraft, Ford's version of GM Delco. They will probably be glad to replace the battery but you will probably be paying the majority of the cost given the age. If you had problems when the car was new, and it was documented by the dealer, you might be able to get them too pay a little more.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They should replace it assuming your bumper to bumper coverage hasn't expired. Once you get a new one just make sure to keep the Shaker turned off BEFORE you turn the car off and open the doors. It needs to be turned off before you do anything else once you park it.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the car is under warranty until July. I had the dealer look at the battery last summer because it was dying after a couple of weeks sitting, but they found nothing....said the battery was good. Now it dies in a couple of days and doesn't seem to want to take a charge from the charger so I am guessing it is toast. Time for a dealer visit again.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery - Will Ford Cover?