Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech V3 S/C: To HO or not to HO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Yeah with the non intercooled kit I ran 395 on the first run and 360 something on the next run after the heat soaked in. For me, living in Arizona with ridiculous summers, I think the intercooler will be beneficial because it is my daily driver and the heat really gets to it here.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i say yes cause it its better for the car to run cooler which mean its safer so it is alot of money to hp but it is safer so i would do it
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Again, you guys equate a higher overall IAT with unsafe. Wrong. The tune is conservative and will pull timing. The tune makes the difference. Please, don't spread mis-info to would be buyers guys. The first thing every intercooled kit does is increase boost and lean out the tune. Safer?? Doubt it. Everything is relative. This Brenspeed kit is safe.

I shouldn't have started this thread, I feel like a damn televangelist, lol. I keep repeating the same things over and over again, but I get the same responses. Do what YOU feel comfortable with, hell IDK, lol.

I'm not going to buy the upgrade. The car is fast now, and it runs 400rwhp on a very rich tune. When its 100 degrees out, maybe I'll only get 360rwhp if I beat on it... oh well, lol. The horror.

My average IATs are around 100. I only managed to get it up to 135 after 3-4 WOT runs in < 10 minutes. I was feeling frisky, what can I say? And the sucker still broke loose the 275s at 60mph with a full boat.

Last edited by Mudflap; 05-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I think its good you are happy with it. Your hp is level is what I'm shooting for, so I'd probably be happy with it too.

If I'm wrong about IAT, boost, tunes, detonation, etc then I stand corrected. I said I could be wrong and I meant it. I'm a total n00b at this. Don't even have a SC yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well generally speaking a lower intake charge is better for power. That doesn't mean that if your IAT goes up to say, 150 degrees, that you're going to explode however. Its all in the tune IMO. As long as the tune is setup to pull timing and reduce power (which is exactly why the intake temp sensor is moved to AFTER the blower with these kits), you should be just fine. The end result is, you'll have less power is all.

I just see many people making the jump from non-IC = higher IATs = unsafe/explosion. In reality, assuming you have a good tune, the equation is in reality non-IC = higher IATs = less power.

The one thing I struggled with when I bought the kit was whether the extra couple of grand was worth the more consistent power and 40rwhp. I decided against going that route, and I've just re-decided it over the past few days. If I took the car to the track on a regular basis and expected to make pass after pass, I'd go with the HO kit for sure. But in reality, I just put around with an occasional WOT run. There is really just no reason why I must have 400rwhp on tap every moment, lol. If it gets hot outside and I beat on the car, and in the end wind up making 360rwhp due to heat soak, it just doesn't really matter. That isn't the typical scenario though. I don't make a habit of going WOT from every stoplight...
Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

My temps were getting up to around 150 degrees with some WOT runs with a good 5 minutes between pulls, it gets too dang hot here lol
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah thats not surprising. Even with the aftercooler, I'm willing to bet you'd still be in the 120 range when the summer gets going there (I lived there for 4 years, I know, lol).
Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Mudflap, I knew you wouldn't :P ...hehe and honestly you are probably better off. Like you said, you don't run your car and its less stuff to go wrong. Plus you can save your money for some other mod.

I on the other hand, may track my car, but I am not 100% sure yet.

Last edited by Smooth_J; 05-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I just can't justify that much money for it. I'd be better off buying a forged rotating assembly if I really wanted to outlay a couple grand. Luckily, I'm not not feeling that saucy, lol. I think I'll work on paying off some stuff for a while and leave the stang be. I'm having dumb thoughts of eventually trading my daily driver for an Evo or STi, so maybe I'll focus on that. I figured having an Evo/STi to buzz around in, and the Mustang for the weekends would be pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yeah I just can't justify that much money for it. I'd be better off buying a forged rotating assembly if I really wanted to outlay a couple grand. Luckily, I'm not not feeling that saucy, lol. I think I'll work on paying off some stuff for a while and leave the stang be. I'm having dumb thoughts of eventually trading my daily driver for an Evo or STi, so maybe I'll focus on that. I figured having an Evo/STi to buzz around in, and the Mustang for the weekends would be pretty cool.
I hear ya.

You can also try Scion for a sure DD, sure it maybe small, but they are highly configurable. I had one for around 20k miles before I traded it in for the 08 Mustang.

Quick Reply: Vortech V3 S/C: To HO or not to HO?