Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how bad is power shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Fatigue is a funny thing. A small number of extremely abusive cycles may be all it takes. Cut the peak stresses in half and it could last 30 or more times as long, but it will still let go. Keep cutting the stresses in half and eventually you do get to the point where the life expectancy is pretty much unlimited.

Norm
Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Did it around 100 passes with CAI+tune only at the strip and then had to replace the synchros. I did manage a 12.87 pass with just the CAI+tune, so it can be helpful.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Did it around 100 passes with CAI+tune only at the strip and then had to replace the synchros. I did manage a 12.87 pass with just the CAI+tune, so it can be helpful.
Did what? Broke the input shaft?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If you baby things they can last a long, long time. My old 90 honda still has the original clutch in it and it's working fine still. 150k miles.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Its gonna burn your clutch out real fast..
Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Damn... Guess I need to stop doing this..

But it's sooooo much fun!!!!! Laid a good 20 foot of 2nd gear just today!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
i did get a good amount of spin from one to two... and yes my def. of power shifting is the same as yours cummins cowboy .

so that being said, with the amount of spin i get from doing it, would it be better to NOT do it in the "heat of the moment street race" ?

and on another note, i do hear a crazy noise from the engine when I do it (sorry for the noob questions) .

and one last note... CEGHA, what is your definition of doing it correctly ?
Doing it correctly, means pedal to the metal, and shift quickly. Don't be grinding gears and hitting rev limiters. That just further adds to the list of stuff that power shifting will mess up.

Like i said there is almost no point in doing it. With these things bone stock, you will still spin tires. I can only see this trick as being of any value at a track or dragstrip.

Doing this on the street is almost useless. If you have much of anything engine wise done to the car, it's going to take tons of suspension work to keep from getting traction issues when shifting, and even then the crap conditions of most roads will make traction even worse.

Also when you encounter these traction issues i speak of, when you power shift and you lose that traction and you put it back into gear to continue, your flooring the car, and you will fishtale like all hell, and may end up into another car if you try this on the street.

Just to give you an idea. My friend let me drive his vert 04 GT. New tires on it. I never drove it or one at all before, took it around the block. Then onto a main road after adjusting to the clutch. Power shifted from first to second with 3 others in the car and top down. I had traction control off, and when i power shifted i hit it perfect, and i had to back off the gas or it wasn't going to gain traction and would have went into the other lane.

So like i said. Unless you have invested heavily in suspension you will see almost no benefit from this, and probably doing worse to your car and actually getting worse times at the track/on the street, due to traction loss.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

So whats the prper way to shift at high rpm? I floor it im my car every now and then, but when i shift i let off the gas and and let out the clutch as i floor it again. It feels really smooth, i just wanna know if its hurting my clutch to bad.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
So whats the prper way to shift at high rpm? I floor it im my car every now and then, but when i shift i let off the gas and and let out the clutch as i floor it again. It feels really smooth, i just wanna know if its hurting my clutch to bad.
The clutch is getting worn down from the movement and friction in it regardless of what you do. Eventually the clutch is going to crap out even from normal wear.

Dumping the clutch is from a dead stop letting all the way off the clutch while reving it then taking off.

Letting the clutch out slowly while applying the gas is called feathering it.

Feathering the clutch is not near as bad as power shifting or dumping it. The reason power shifting is good is because it can send a good extra surge of power to the back tires to give you a good boost when you shift gears, but as i said it can very easily create traction problems.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've been told that feathering the clutch at high rpm might wear on it even harder than dumping it if you have street tires on the car that are prone to break loose and spin.

Quick Reply: how bad is power shifting...