Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Brenspeed Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

i have been waiting 7 days now for my brenspeed tunes to get here and when i ordered i asked if 93 with 10% ethanol was gonna be a problem in the 93 tune and the answer was no.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Update - Filled up with 91 Chevron and loaded 91 tune. it seems to have solved the problem, so good call on the brand of gas from previous poster. However, now the tunes set the "check engine light" on. All 3 tunes now do this. I have emailed Brenspeed and will keep you posted.

Good call by Tpony and Legion5.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 05-19-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Update - Filled up with 91 Chevron and loaded 91 tune. it seems to have solved the problem, so good call on the brand of gas from previous poster. However, now the tunes set the "check engine light" on. All 3 tunes now do this. I have emailed Brenspeed and will keep you posted.
Update, part II, 05/19/2009 - I did load my 91 tune and tested with Chevron gas and there was no pinging. However, when I loaded the tune, the "check engine light" came on. After testing, I reloaded the 87 tune and the "check engine light" stayed on. 30 minutes later, I tried to reload the 87 tune again, but halfway through the procedure, the programmer froze during the "unlock ECU" step. I keyed off and removed the tuner and it errored out when I tried to reload the 87 tune. The error prompted me to reload the stock tune and I did. After reloading the stock tune, I went through the process of extracting and reloading the 87 tune again. This time, the "check engine light" stayed off. I have not tried to reload the 91 to see if the check engine light goes on or off. The 87 tune is fine. Not sure about the 89 and 91 though.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

If I floor it with any of the Brenspeed tunes mine pings. Doesn't matter what octane gas I use or tune. I've been using the Ford recommended BP. Thinking I should switch to Chevron or Exxon.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
07vistablueOUTLAW
1st Gear Member

I agree with all the good feedback about Brenspeed. So far all my experience with them have been above and beyond. I first started out ordering C&L CAI, brisk plugs, steeda underdrive pulley's, and zex nitrous kit. To my surprise 2 days later everything was sitting at my door step. Everything they sent me came with step by step directions which made install unbelievably easy. I called them a few times about the nitrous just cause that stuff makes me nervous and they were very helpful. Just recently I purchased the Thumper cams, cam phasers, and steeda delete plates from them. I showed up at their shop at 9 am and was on the road at 12:30. Brenspeed has been very informative about all their mod's and which ones were worth the dollar per horse power. I can't wait to purchase more goodies from them.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
If I floor it with any of the Brenspeed tunes mine pings. Doesn't matter what octane gas I use or tune. I've been using the Ford recommended BP. Thinking I should switch to Chevron or Exxon.

Try the Chevron. I always thought 76 was good gas. Maybe it varies from station to station, I don't know. But I flushed my tank with two full tanks of Chevron before I reinstalled the 91 tune. But sure enough, the problem went away. This is WOT with a full tank of gas and another passenger in the car too, so it was definitely under load.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Mike02z
1st Gear Member

I had a Saleen Supercharger installed by Brenspeed back in Feb. I'm pretty happy with the results but that does not mean everything went perfectly. Let me start by saying that the guys at Brenspeed are some of the nicest people I have met in the performance car industry. They were professional and curteous throughout the whole process. They put me up in thier guest house for 3 days while my computer was sent to Saleen to be programed. All that being said I have had a few issues with the install. All but one Brenspeed has been informed about and they helped me fix one issue but have not been able to help me fix the 2nd issue. The third issue is just just an annoying issue that I have not informed them about.

One my way home from Brenspeed (I live 660 miles away) I smelled coolant. When I got home I noticed that coolant was leaking from the main hose going into the engine. It was a very minor leak. After a coupel of emails I replaced the clamp and that solved the first issue.

The second issue is that I noticed that when I had the cruise control on the boost gauge needle would bounce from 10 lbs of vaccuum to 5 lbs and just continue to do this. When this happens you feel the car surging a bit. It seemed like a slight vaccuum leak to me. I emailed Brenspeed and recieved a call right back from their installation manger. We walked through a few questions but in the end he felt it was just the gauage and not a vaccuum leak. It is not all that bad and only happens at highway speed when going a constant speed so I have not persued it further. I can say that I doubt it is just the gauge since I feel the minor surging. At idle the car holds a constant 24lbs of vaccuum and seems normal in every other way. One day I'll be back in IN and I'm sure they will be able to figure out what is doing this but for now I can live with it.

The third issue was just a minor one but it annoys me. When they put the boost gauge in they drilled a hole through the firewall to run the line. They drilled a rather large hole and did not use a grommet so it is bare metal up against the plastic boost gauge tube. I cut my own grommet and used some silicone to secure it but the hole should have been smaller and they should have used a grommet. Like I said it is a small issue but an annoying one for me.

In Brenspeed's defense they were in the process of moving when I had my work done and I'm sure they were distracted. On the plus side they gave me a great deal on the install and the 475 Saleen package plus the free stay at their guest house so all in all I'm still pretty happy with everything. I mean no one is perfect and I expect some minor issues with something like this.

Last edited by Mike02z; 05-20-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

it hasn't been for me. i use a 93 brenspeed tune with costco gas that has 10% ethanol. never had any pinging or issues.

Originally Posted by 08GT4U
i have been waiting 7 days now for my brenspeed tunes to get here and when i ordered i asked if 93 with 10% ethanol was gonna be a problem in the 93 tune and the answer was no.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

i have been running the 93 tune allready for a week with shell 93 and bp 93 both with 10% ethanol and no issues here either.i could honestly say im one very happy customer.one thing i did notice is i get better gas milage with the brenspeed tune over the bama tune.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Update - I received a follow up call yesterday from Brenspeed (the post above didn't influence the call in anyway. The call was a result of the rather lengthy email chain I have with them). I got Brenspeed up to speed with my situation. The guy was very nice (Chandler). he suggested pull the trouble codes with the programmer the next time the check engine light comes on after I upload a tune.

Brenspeed technical/customer service continues to impress me.

Quick Reply: My Brenspeed Experience