Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 transmission in a 67?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default 05 transmission in a 67?

hey guys,
for over 10 years i have had a 67 mustang sitting in the garage that ha been deemed "totaled" its really not that bad, mostly just because the lights wont stay up... but my mom says she finally let me fix it up since nobody else is doing anything with it. the only problem is, is that its an auto... i dont want to fix it up and play with it if its not a manual... i posted in the classics section but there like nobody there, does anybody know if a new tranny from an S197 would work in a 67? and about how much it would cost to get that kind of swap, fabricated interior for shifter and added clutch pedal and all?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Transmission doesn't have to do with fit much, as long as engine and transmission bolt pattern is the same I believe.

Last edited by ahddm; 05-14-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

how much do u think it would cost to get all the work done to covert an auto into a manual, (clutch pedal, removal of auto stick and installing a manual stick etc...)
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

I can't help you with that stuff I don't have much experience in that area.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The guys in the Classic section will answer that for you...
It's not as busy as here for sure, but they know their sh#t and you will get advices there.
It will take more than a few minutes, that's all.

Anyway, the bolt paterns are all wrong to be matted to a pushrod engine...
Bell housing have to be swapped if it's all possible.
Shifter hook ups will be a challenge etc...

Best way to go is a Tremec from a 98 Cobra or similar with a FRPP bell housing.
That's what I did to my old Cougar...
You could also rig it up with a 6 dpd.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I suspect that most of the folks who have swapped overdrive trannies into the early cars have used either T5's (preferably T5Z) or Tremecs (TKO 500/600). If nothing else, they work with a conventional sort of bellhousing (you'll still have to check things like bolt patterns, input shaft length, pilot bearing requirements, shift lever positioning, drive shaft length, etc.).

The TR3650 from the S197 GT has an integral bellhousing that specifically fits the 4.6L engines, but I don't know whether it'll properly fit up to the pushrod motors. The V6 S197's do use a version of the T5, but you might not be completely happy with the gear ratios (1st gear is pretty short at 3.75:1).

If it's a mild/moderate 289/302, a T5Z probably represents the least difficulty. TKO's or the earlier TR3550's that you might find used may involve tunnel mods, as I think they are a little taller above the input/output shaft centerline than the early cars' trannies and are certainly wider and more "squared off" up top (I did a TR3550 swap into a late 70's Chevy Malibu and had to modify its tunnel, if that helps any).

I do show up in the Classic section on a semi-regular basis, but I'm sure that stuff manages to fall off the first page between visits.

Norm
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

I would think that the newer 5r55 transmission would not work for a number of reasons, The computer talks to this transmission dosn,t it. For shift points and I think you could by a transmission and torque convertor from a racing shop for that 67 and it would still be cheaper.
I think it would be neat to drop the whole 3v 281 ,computer , harness and transmission driveshaft rear end in that classic style stang.

But please save that 67 and dont let it be a victim of neglect or worse the crusher.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ybnormal
I would think that the newer 5r55 transmission would not work for a number of reasons, The computer talks to this transmission dosn,t it. For shift points and I think you could by a transmission and torque convertor from a racing shop for that 67 and it would still be cheaper.
I think it would be neat to drop the whole 3v 281 ,computer , harness and transmission driveshaft rear end in that classic style stang.

But please save that 67 and dont let it be a victim of neglect or worse the crusher.
That's what im saying, drop a 3V motor in, take all the electronics and tranmission and throw it in there. Sure it would have some get up and go then lol.

But in seriousness, you would have to use a older transmission, couldn't use a S197 tranny.

Let us know what you decide to do with the car. Could you get us some pics of how "totaled" it is? Mabye make a thread of the restoration process.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cegha
That's what im saying, drop a 3V motor in, take all the electronics and tranmission and throw it in there. Sure it would have some get up and go then lol.

But in seriousness, you would have to use a older transmission, couldn't use a S197 tranny.

Let us know what you decide to do with the car. Could you get us some pics of how "totaled" it is? Mabye make a thread of the restoration process.
We're going to be doing this with a friends 68 Mustang. He has a 2007 GT with Helion turbo kit on it and a few weeks ago a lady ran a red light and caused pretty big accident. Unfortunately his GT was totalled. The good part was that he got paid out for the car AND the mods and was then able to buy the car back.

The motor and trans (and turbo) are all perfectly fine on the 2007, so we're pulling those and putting them into the 68. He's going to get a new rearend as well, I think one from an Explorer.

He's also having 4 wheel independent suspension put on the car. The rear seats from the 07 at already in the 68 as well as the dash. The dash did need some modifications though to make it fit right.

I'm not sure if he has any pics, but if so I'll try to get some and post them here... It's gonna be sweet when it's finished. :-)

Oh, and when I say "we're doing this" what I really mean is that I get to hand them wrenches and tighten bolts... that's about it. :-) This is WAY over my head skills-wise.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

the engine was originally a 289, im not sure what it has in it now because about a year before it was in the accident, we had the whole motor rebuilt, the new motor doesnt even have over 10K on it, but again, im not sure if the rebuilt motor is a 289, or whatever, in the pictures it obvious it was a victim of neglect but im going to change that dont worry guys... my dad basically uses it as storage shelf for his tools... i woulda pulled it out of the garage to get better pictures, but the battery died over a year ago, it hasnt been started in a VERY long time, and my dad has a +500 lb copper statue beind it that wont let me get the 67 out...

my biggest hurdle in fixing this up is the rear quarter panel... it is really crumpled... what do u guys think about how to fix it, should i have somebody massage out the dents and crumples? or should i just buy a new sheet and have them bondo it? all other damage is just like the chrome bumper, and lower valances which are no more then like 150 each i think...

Quick Reply: 05 transmission in a 67?