Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damage to wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 AM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

Default damage to wheels

i took my car to a dealership to have tpms sensors installed in my foose chrome wheels. the dealer's tire machine was broke so they sent car to a tire service place a mile away. they installed sensors and they forgot to put double sided tape on back of brackets. this was all on march 6. i was detailing my wheels last week and found nicks in the chrome in the same spot on 3 of 4 wheels 4" out from the center. tire service place doesnt want to take the blame, should i got after the dealer cause they basicly sub-contrated my car out.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

good luck bro, most places have a sign that states that they are not responsable, it is going to be tough to get any one to own up to it.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your damaged wheels. Like the op stated it's going to be hard to get them to pay for the damage, especially now that it's two months later.

I've been meaning to post up a new thread and see if anyone knows how to, or a business that can do, minor wheel repair. Buffing out scratches, curb rash and such.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Hard or not, what do you have to lose by making a stink. I just experienced the same problem. Took my wifes Expedition I just bought her, in for the 1st oil change. I just put brand new Saleen S331 23" 7 spoke rims, like the Barricade but in 23, (powdercaoted black). I was in a rush on a Friday evening to get home and when I got home I noticed my car looks off. The front wheels were sticking out of the fender and the rears were tucked in the fender. I realized the idiot tech roteted the tires, not stopping to notice the tires are brand new and the wear marks were still on the tread, so a rotate was unnecessary or wasnt even asked for. I took it back on Saturday to have it reroteted back. When I got the car back, one of the rims were scraped to hell and all the black powdercoat in that are was scraped off to the metal. I gave them hell, showed them the rims were new, and they unnecessarily F***ed with my rims, when they shouldnt have been there. They owned up and asked me to repair and submit the bill. Dont give up.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

A while back I had a Nissan Altima that had Firestone tires that we're recalled. The car had les than 5k on it. I took it to a firestone place to have the tires replaced and when I came back to pick up the car, ALL FOUR rims we're totally jacked up. Of course I was furious, but they took care of it. They sent the rims out to get repaired and put me up in a rental car while we waited. I learned two things that day.

1. Always, always, always, check out your car BEFORE you sign off on it and BEFORE you leave
2. Most places want you to come back and will own up to mistakes

In your case, I'd go back to the dealer and talk to either the service manager (don't even bother with the advisors, they are pretty much useless) or the general manager of the dealership. Good luck
Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 07vbluestang
i took my car to a dealership to have tpms sensors installed in my foose chrome wheels. the dealer's tire machine was broke so they sent car to a tire service place a mile away. they installed sensors and they forgot to put double sided tape on back of brackets. this was all on march 6. i was detailing my wheels last week and found nicks in the chrome in the same spot on 3 of 4 wheels 4" out from the center. tire service place doesnt want to take the blame, should i got after the dealer cause they basicly sub-contrated my car out.
I dont understand how missing 3M acrylic tape could cause nicks in
the chrome that can be seen without removing the tires or is that
just another gripe unrelated to problem?
They didnt install the sensors on the outside of your rims, did they?
Missing 3M tape could cause the sensors to slip around
and cause all sorts of unbalanced conditions.
ALWAYS INSPECT TIRES AND RIMS FOR PROPER FITMENT
AND DAMAGE BEFORE PAYING AND DRIVING OFF.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

tire place said to me why did it take you so long to notice nicks after 2 months. i said cause i was afraid to drive the car cause you didnt put the double side adhesives on the brackets and i was afraid bands would spin and throw tires out of balance. no garage around me would do the install on the bands cause i didnt buy wheels off them. plus by standing upright looking down at wheels you cant see the nicks but when i got down to clean all the rivets out and wax wheels is when i saw them nicks on each wheel in the same place 4" out from the center. i even took the car to the regional manager and he inspected them and saw the nicks. the car only has 3700 miles on it. evidently i dont drive it that often and it is covered up in my garage. i am not letting this side, NO WAY!!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

they also told me that the installer was the best in the area and he wouldnt off damaged my wheels. i said why was it that they had to ask me why the bands won't go thru the brackets. i had to show them there was other new brackets in the box for the new bands from american muscle. they couldn't even put my center caps back in the wheels cause somehow they had the rubber seal all stretched out and couldnt get the cap in the wheel. i did it when i got home.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07vbluestang
they also told me that the installer was the best in the area and he wouldnt off damaged my wheels. i said why was it that they had to ask me why the bands won't go thru the brackets. i had to show them there was other new brackets in the box for the new bands from american muscle. they couldn't even put my center caps back in the wheels cause somehow they had the rubber seal all stretched out and couldnt get the cap in the wheel. i did it when i got home.
So when you were bending down to re-install the center caps you didn't see the damage?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

my garage is not the best lite garage. it has only (4) 75 watts bulbs lighting up a garage 24' x 27'. i put the rubber seals in the freezer for awhile and then coated them with vasaline and the center cap slid right in. also they are chrome wheels so they are harder to see. the chrome will start to peel over time cause the chrome is cracked. it's not like it is painted black and the paint is removed.

Last edited by 07vbluestang; 05-15-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: damage to wheels