Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'd Up My Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:06 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Default F'd Up My Wheel

I was up in Daytona Beach today visiting a friend. When I was leaving his house a car cut me off, so I swirved to avoid him and in doing so curbed my drivers side rear wheel. I think I hit the curb doing 30-40 mph. After nailing the curb I could see a piece sticking out from my wheel, so instead of trying to chase the SOB down and beat the shiat out of him I pulled over and checked the damage. About 14 inches of lip from the rim gone. Now I am riding around on the spare donut, need to buy a new rim possibly a new tire as well, and the Ford Parts dept. is closed until Monday.. My car only has 700 miles on it.

Now I have a few questions:
Can I order just one rim from Ford?
If so how much does one cost?
If I need a new tire how much does a stock one cost from Ford?

I was planning on adding the CAI and Diablo soon, and holding off on new wheels. Now I may have to start looking for wheels/tires instead of the CAI and Diablo.

Can the stock "Ford" Center caps be used on aftermarket rims?
I want to go with the same style rim, just 18x9. But haven't found any I like yet. If I do find some what size tires do I need to keep the speedo accurate?

I visually checked the car and luckily I didn't hit the rocker panel, or any other body panel on the car. I don't see any damage in the wheel well, and I was able to drive the 60+ miles home with no problem. Is there any thing I should look for or possible hidden damage I should have checked?

If I would have let him hit me, he would be paying for all this and not me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11110/EB86CDDA174F4DECA4A93F4C5A8380E3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11110/B1CDE84C89F34B5EA702E0F11549CBE3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: F'd Up My Wheel

Dude - I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but I feel your pain. Did something similar about 6 months into my last new 'Stang.
You'll likely need the front end aligned and a new wheel and tire... probably set you back $500 or so unless you can find one in a salvage yard....

Good Luck with it!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Damn, those are ugly pictures. I have the same wheels and I love em. Best I can suggest is you shop around. The dealer will corn-hole you stupid for that wheel. I've seen em on EBay for 1/3 of the price. And a few with new car take off wheels and tires just like those. For FAR less than you can do at the dealer. Never go dealer for crap like this, unless warrantee will cover it.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:41 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Concur... there has to be truckloads of those take-offs all over the place.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:02 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

I just found a website, www.fordparts.com, that has the wheel for $162.99. I was checking out the tire, and I think the tire went flat from the lip being ripped off the wheel. The tire looks good, but I am going to take it to a friend of mine to have him look at it.

Wldstng05 would I need the front end aligned since only the back drivers side hit the curb?

Don_w where did you get your rims at? Can you get different center caps besides the Cobras?
Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: biged3

Don_w where did you get your rims at? Can you get different center caps besides the Cobras?
MustangTuning.com... I think you can order replacement caps, but I don't know how much they are.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

As long as your're doing it, why not get the spinners?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:16 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

I'm not to crazy about the spinners Orion.

I was looking at Mustangtuning.com at some of the 18x9 anthracite wheels. Actually cheaper than the factory rim from fordparts.com. I will probably buy the factory rim to have later if I ever decide to sell the car, or for 30 years from now when I restore it. But may also put the CAI and Diablo on hold and get the rims and tires now. My best friend keeps asking what I want for my b-day. After she heard this she was talking about getting me the factory rim. We'll see.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

The tire could be fine, Ive had a few in my shop where it did what yours did. Even seen them still hold air, now thats scary.
An alignment check may be in order just to make sure you didnt knock anything outta wack in the back. Like a bent hub/spindle.

There are aftermartket places that carry replica replacments, called Keystone. Maybe do a search for them. Also ebay is a great source, but to find just one wheel maybe harder
Old 06-26-2005, 03:51 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

My dealer (Dale Jarrett Ford) has piles of them left from people that change to 18's or Bullitts at the time of purchase. Very good prices too. They just want to get them off the floor.

Quick Reply: F'd Up My Wheel