Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about gutting my cats...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If you gut your cats and the rear O2 sensors are turned on, it WILL throw a code and illuminate the MIL. It will also cause unpredictable changes in your exhaust system resonances that could either help you or hurt you (probably depending on rpm and exhaust gas volume). I would expect that the sound would vary with rpm somewhat more than it does.

Norm
+1 and an SCT could take of this part.
But we haven't had any issues with resonance after the cats have been "gutted"

*knock on wood*
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

what state arwe you in? i wouldnt really reccomend doin so in california... why not just switch them to high flow cats?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I've always been more of a dog person, so I don't see anything wrong with gutting cats.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

i thought putting a o/r pipe on makes the exhaust raspy. is this correct?

Chris07GT - did u 'gut' yours? if so what was your thoughts on it compared to other high flow or o/r pipe. Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06

Chris07GT - did u 'gut' yours? if so what was your thoughts on it compared to other high flow or o/r pipe. Thanks
an o/r x pipe CAN make things raspy....and o/r H or prochamber usually does not.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Cats are cats. Is our cats more special than others? (Im sure you guys would agree though lol). Any gutted cat is gonna have the same effect.
From the engine block to the mufflers our car's are restricted, there's not doubt about that. Cats are cats (with some more restrictive than others) but to compare an I-4 or anything else to that matter to our engine would be apples to oranges. Not to make ours sound (no pun intended) godly, but every engine is different. By converting to an O/R mid pipe our cars do pick up some HP.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
From the engine block to the mufflers our car's are restricted, there's not doubt about that. Cats are cats (with some more restrictive than others) but to compare an I-4 or anything else to that matter to our engine would be apples to oranges. Not to make ours sound (no pun intended) godly, but every engine is different. By converting to an O/R mid pipe our cars do pick up some HP.
Well I don't see how Hellion and Turbonetics can make turbo kits that make 450+hp flowing through the stock exhaust including stock cats, if the factory exhaust is THAT restrictive.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
05fastblk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
I've always been more of a dog person, so I don't see anything wrong with gutting cats.
lol
Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Topless06;6235637]i thought putting a o/r pipe on makes the exhaust raspy. is this correct?

It will be raspy. Even an O/R H or prochamber will be rapsy. It won't be as raspy as an O/R X but will definitely be more raspy than the stock H.

Originally Posted by thedrod
Well I don't see how Hellion and Turbonetics can make turbo kits that make 450+hp flowing through the stock exhaust including stock cats, if the factory exhaust is THAT restrictive.
It makes power because the turbo produces 10psi. Just because the stock exhaust is restricted compared to an O/R setup doesn't mean it can't make power. However, an O/R exhaust setup could make more power than the stock catted setup, especially in a turbo application
Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=VistaGT;6237336]
Originally Posted by Topless06

It will be raspy. Even an O/R H or prochamber will be rapsy. It won't be as raspy as an O/R X but will definitely be more raspy than the stock H.

It makes power because the turbo produces 10psi. Just because the stock exhaust is restricted compared to an O/R setup doesn't mean it can't make power. However, an O/R exhaust setup could make more power than the stock catted setup, especially in a turbo application
In a turbo application yes, but unless you just want a louder exhaust note, I don't see it making sense to run an O/R pipe in a N/A application...especially on these cars.

Quick Reply: Question about gutting my cats...