Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Default TPMS Sensors

Hey guys as some of you know i was kinda having mental problems with my rims lol but i put them on and no issues at all there great, but now i ran into another problem my TPMS is coming on? i had the Ford sensors installed at cruizin concepts before they shipped them...thing i dont get is i went to the gas station around the block couple times and nothing, all the sudden i get on the highway and such about 20 min into the ride on the highway the light pops up? the presure is good in the tires idunno whats wrong? I got the Sensors from newtakeoff.com so there the real deal sensors i just dont know why it going off its really pissing me off, so any info on this?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

have you had the TPMS sensors programmed for your car? if not, I've heard you can either buy a hand held programmer to do this or you can go by a Ford dealership and for a small charge have them do it for you..
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if the sensors being programmed or not would have anything to do with this. If they weren't trained for the car, the TPMS fault light should come on immediately upon starting the car, right?

I have this same problem. I'll be driving around and everything is fine, then all of a sudden I get the TPMS fault message. Not really sure what it is. If you get the sensors programmed and that works, let me know.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

The TPMS light takes a while to come on the first time but then it will come on each time you restart the car. I got the tool to retrain them but there is a problem with my right front sensor and the tool doesn't read it. I'm just going to leave it as until I change my tires and can have it looked at. BTW I got the tool through american muscle and it comes with a DVD instruction for retraining the sensors.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
have you had the TPMS sensors programmed for your car? if not, I've heard you can either buy a hand held programmer to do this or you can go by a Ford dealership and for a small charge have them do it for you..
No i havent reprogrammed the senors, i am going to due that when i get the chance to get to the dealer, im trying to get them to due it on the house
Old 06-02-2009, 07:12 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vphokie
I don't know if the sensors being programmed or not would have anything to do with this. If they weren't trained for the car, the TPMS fault light should come on immediately upon starting the car, right?

I have this same problem. I'll be driving around and everything is fine, then all of a sudden I get the TPMS fault message. Not really sure what it is. If you get the sensors programmed and that works, let me know.
Yess i hate when that happens, Cause yesterday i said what the hell, i disconnected the battery so i guess everything would rest? but as soon i turned the car 5 seconds later it came on BBut the funny thing is today when i started it up it wasnt on? i was like okay where the light go? so i thought everything was cool then after driving around for about a hour or so Bing Mr. light comes on
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

This should help answer a lot of your questions. Here's an excerpt:

"It is important to note that your car will not warn you about low tire pressure as soon as you start your car. Your car has to be moving at least 20 MPH (32 km/h) for two minutes before it will register that there is a problem."

There is one part that I think needs clarification though.

"For example, the sensor that was assigned to the Front Right Wheel will need to go on the new rim going in that location. If this is not done, you will need to re-register the sensors so that if there is a problem with the TPMS system, it can be properly diagnosed."

That last phrase is key "...if there is a problem with the TPMS system, it can be properly diagnosed." You can still go ahead and rotate your tires without swapping out the sensors every time. You won't get a warning light if a sensor is switched from one corner of the car to another. It's just that if you did get a warning light because of something other than low tire pressure, say a faulty sensor, the tech wouldn't be able to pinpoint which sensor was faulty as easily.

The sensors will all still operate properly as far as tire pressure is concerned, whichever wheel it's on. The warning light alone isn't going to specify to the driver which tire it is that's low anyway, so it's irrelevant which corner of the car the sensor is mounted on. You'd still need to manually check which tire it is that's low in any case.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
This should help answer a lot of your questions. Here's an excerpt:

"It is important to note that your car will not warn you about low tire pressure as soon as you start your car. Your car has to be moving at least 20 MPH (32 km/h) for two minutes before it will register that there is a problem."
That may be the case, BUT you CAN still get the TPMS fault light immediately after starting the car. Trust me, half the time I start my car I get it. Completely different issue than it saying you have low tire pressure.

The reason for the 2 minutes at 20 mph (I'm assuming) is to determine the tire pressure. If I'm correct, these sensors do not actually sense the pressure in the tire. They are used to count wheel revolutions. The system is smart enough to sense the difference in wheel RPM's as tire pressure changes. The sensors are used to determine the rate at which each wheel is making revolutions.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

i just got the AmericanMuscle TMPS kit and it worked great. very quick to do, i think the dvd is overkill they dould have just included a 1 page instruction sheet, but whate ever it works, and it did not cost all that much (sub 50 usd(IIRC)).

My veration on the TMPS issue is that i parked my car right next to the stock wheels at home, so i would not get the light untill half way to work (about 10 minutes of 60mph+ driving), and it would stay on untill i would get back to home. I think the tires (on a tire tree about 2 m from the trunk of the car) were close enough to get the car to think they were installed for the first bit, and then once i get home it woul re-read the sensors and kill the error light. Also i could not get this error to come up on my tunner (X3) nor could i get the compture to ignore the error/reset via the handheld tunner.

even though it took me three tries to get the damn car to go in to TMPS train mode, it still only took me about 5 minutes to rest/retrain the car with the tool and I have not had any error lights yet, and have gone on a 100mile day trip for work in the car.

hope this helps
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

They most likely need to be programmed for your car. I had my rims done at Steeda and they unfortunately broke one of them and blamed it on me so now I drive around and I have that message EVERY time I turn my car on. Annoying? Yes. Livable? Yes. I think once the sensors are programmed for your vehicle that you'll be fine. If not then you're in the same boat as me.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors