Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking break light on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
laith
1st Gear Member

Exclamation parking break light on while driving

I was driving the other day and I noticed my parking brake light was lit up on the dash. Ever since I noticed it stays on everytime I drive and sometimes it will go off for a second then turn right back on. I have no idea what the problem is and any feedback is appreciated.

TIA
Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

make sure your parking brake is down as far as it will go.. if its up a tiny bit it will do that...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Ecorse

There should be a switch on the parking brake control lever. You may have to remove the console to access it. This is usually the problem. To verify, unplug the connector and see if the light goes out. You may also be able to adjust the parking brake front cable. This is probably easier to do as a first step. This adjustment is made by removing the little access plate inside the console storage area. You loosen the locknut and tighten just enough to remove slack when the lever is all the way down. Here is a link to parking brake adjustment as well as other maintenance items.

Dave T.

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?t=1087
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
laith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
make sure your parking brake is down as far as it will go.. if its up a tiny bit it will do that...
Its all the way down :\ and thanks ecorse ill try doing that today to see if thats the problem. Thanks for the feedback guys. Any other suggestions from anyone?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by laith
Its all the way down :\ and thanks ecorse ill try doing that today to see if thats the problem. Thanks for the feedback guys. Any other suggestions from anyone?
Well, my fathers F-150 had a sticking parking brake and even when you "released it", the light was still on because it was sticking. It didn't stick much though, because you could still drive and not notice it until about 45-55mph, then the truck would begin to shudder a little.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

From Owner's Guide--"Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately by your authorized dealer."
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

parking brake has no fluid. just a cable that pulls on the rear calipers and locks the rear brakes.

unless they changed it .. in which case I'll insert my foot in my mouth
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eddypython
parking brake has no fluid. just a cable that pulls on the rear calipers and locks the rear brakes.

You are absolutely correct that the parking brake has no fluid, but apparently the warning light serves two functions. It tells you if you have your parking brake on, and also tells you if your primary braking system is low on fluid.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eddypython

Yep, foot in mouth somewhat...!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I'll suck my toes if it's correct, but like I said , mine has a cable running to the calipers, and when the brake is pulled it locks the rear brakes..

but Art161 cleared it up either way..

Quick Reply: parking break light on while driving