Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to wash her?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
abecker

Default What do you use to wash her?

So I've recently had a bad experience with automatic car washes. It got stuck with my brand new '09 GT in it. Needless to say that car wash gave me a refund and plenty of free car washes. However, I'll never drive it in there again :P

So what do you guys use to wash her and make her look shiny? (and where do you get it?)

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

With all due respect I'm a professional detailer and you are doing more harm than good going to a car wash UNLESS it's a touchless wash. Those scrubbing and spinning bristles swirl the HECK out of your finish which will then require a buffer to remove. Stay away from car washes and wash it yourself if possible in your driveway with a good car wash with plenty of lubricity and a soft microfiber cloth or sheepskin mitt. Then use an electric leaf blower to blow out all the nooks and crannies. Improper washing is responsible for the majority of swirled finishes.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 06-22-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

To wash her, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. For detailing, well, a lot more products are involved.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
With all due respect I'm a professional detailer and you are doing more harm than good going to a car wash UNLESS it's a touchless wash. Those scrubbing and spinning bristles swirl the HECK out of your finish which will then require a buffer to remove. Stay away from car washes and wash it yourself if possible in your driveway with a good car wash with plenty of lubricity and a soft microfiber cloth or sheepskin mitt. Then use an electric leaf blower to blow out all the nooks and crannies. Improper washing is responsible for the majority of swirled finishes.

I don't intend on going back to a car wash, that's why I was asking what people use to wash by hand.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

If I have to use a carwash, I ONLY use touchless ones, there is one by my house that is pretty dang good for a touchless.

For car wash soap I don't find a lot of difference between the cheap big jug of turtle wax or the more expensive ones, now that's a different story for polish or wax. I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 love that stuff goes on so easy and comes off easy too, lasts pretty good also

Last edited by Starfire; 06-22-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It frickin amazes me how fragile the clearcoat is on cars. Sneeze at it and it gets a hairline scratch.

Touchless if you must go to a wash. Otherwise, if you can wash at home, use a rinseless wash with microfiber towels to dry. Use a soft car wash mit to apply the water/solution. If the car is really filthy then use some car wash shoap like meguiar's or mother's and rinse it off with the hose. Just make sure to get it dry quick if you have hard tap water.

For glass use a waffle weave microfiber towel and stoner's invisible glass.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I started using the RainX brand wash (its blue with little pearls in it) and I have to say, for a mid priced wash, it did a amazing job. Got the bird drops offf with ease and it left a VERY nice shine. Looked better then I expected for just giving it a quick cheap wash.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I've been using RainX but it's the green colored stuff. Not sure what the difference is between it and the blue stuff. I've been happy with it. Does a good job of removing even tar and bugs just by itself. Walmart for 5.49 for 100oz. - just picked one up Friday.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Here's what I use:
Meguiars Deep crystal car wash.
Dry it off completely - if you have city water it can leave some really nasty water spots.
If the surface doesn't feel smooth after it's dry then I I'll try some Ultimate Quick Wax.
If that doesn't make it feel smooth I know it's time for a clay-bar treatment and re-wax (typically only happens once a year). I like Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax.
In-between full washes I like to clean the dust and pollen off with Ultimate Quick Detailer.
Yes, I like Meguiars products.

Last edited by doctorstrobe; 06-22-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: It's hard to remember how to spell Meguiars...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't have access to a hose, so I can't use the usual car wash products.

My choice is Griot's Garage Spray-On Car Wash, which you can order through Griot's Garage website. I just spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. It leaves the finish clean and shiny.

Quick Reply: What do you use to wash her?