Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Matte Black Stripe People, What do you use to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Matte Black Stripe People, What do you use to clean?

I'd like to hear what everyone with Matte Black vinyl stripes use to clean their stripes on this forum.

I tried some orange cleaner and it seems to leave streaks.
BSM recommends Fantastik Orange cleaner spray but I believe that product has been discontinued because I looked in every grocery store and other type of store with no luck.

So I bought some generic orange spray. I called the people at BSM to make sure the ingrediants were ok and used it after I got the ok from them.
But it seems to be leaving streaks. I am using a paper towel to clean them just as they said to do at BSM and I am wiping in a downward motion.
(Maybe I am doing something wrong?)

Anyhow. I'd like to get an idea of what other people are using to clean their matte black stripes with and how it works for them. Also.. what material do you use to wipe it with?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Just soap and water, I also use Aerospace 303 to protect them, only need a little bit helps with UV damage and also make the water bead better. I also occasionally use turtle wax's Ice quick detailer, it doesn't leave white residue, but I just use it very lightly.

Link: http://www.303products.com

Last edited by Starfire; 06-26-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Starfire
Just soap and water, I also use Aerospace 303 to protect them, only need a little bit helps with UV damage and also make the water bead better. I also occasionally use turtle wax's Ice quick detailer, it doesn't leave white residue, but I just use it very lightly.

Link: http://www.303products.com

That 303 does'nt have any wax or anything in it does it?
What kind of soap are you using and how much soap with the water?

Oh yeah.. and how often do you use this stuff to help protect?
I did not know that Cali Specials had Matte Black stripes... I thought they were gloss?

Oh and do you use paper towels or what?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-26-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

303 is designed to protect rubber, leather, and vinyl. I used to use that on my S2000's convertible top and it's excellent for that.

personally I would just polish and wax the stripe along with the rest of the car. the polish will remove oxidation that starts to build up and the wax will protect it from the sun's UV that will destroy it over time. messing with something like 303 on stripes next to your paint I think will turn into a mess since the 303 isn't ideal for the paint. polishing and waxing everything at once will keep it all looking good.

I had an older car that had factory pin stripes on the sides and they we're all old and crappy looking, I thought they would have to be replaced. I polished and waxed over them as I did the rest of the finish and they came out great even though they were 20 years old.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Well the side stripe are different, they are flat black but it's not a true flat vinyl, you can wax over them, but my hood stripe is flat back. The 303 I use about every month or 2, after you first apply it, it will make the strips shine a bit (Like I said use very little) but that fades in a day and they look the same as before then. You can use 303 on all you plastic trim also, works great no white residue, it's really good stuff.

I just soap and water when I wash my car, so what ever you mix to wash with and use a microfiber towel.

Doing all that they haven't faded, shrunk, peeled, and I went through a Chicago winter with them, though they do have a couple marks from stones :P

Also don't press hard with applying anything, just lightly.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ummm....

You cannot wax matte black stripes.... it discolors the stripe.

That is why I am also looking for something to protect them against the U.V. rays...
but if the 303 is bad for the paint.. umm...
I am back to square one.

Star...has anything happened while getting the 303 on the paint? Do you have to be careful?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
Ummm....

You cannot wax matte black stripes.... it discolors the stripe.
BSM's website says this:
2. ONE MONTH AFTER INSTALL - Clean the stripes with orange cleaner and paper towels, then WAX the stripes, by hand, with a high quality liquid wax. NEVER USE A ROTARY BUFFER ON STRIPES (obvious, I know, but it has been done lol) Try not to wax across the seams or edges, but rather with them.

3. Long term care - Do not let debris, bird feces, road grime or other substances sit on the stripes. Any residue on the stripe material can cause discoloration or permanent marks on the stripes. Clean periodically with orange cleaner and wax with a good quality liquid wax.
Now, I haven't gotten to the point where I need to wax my matte black decklid panel, but when I do, I plan on trying Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 in liquid form. The funny thing is though, it's not really wax! NXT Tech Wax 2.0 is actually made up of all synthetic chemicals and does not contain one drop of pure wax. A product like this would actually be referred to as a paint sealant, but in the eye of the consumer, he/she knows what wax means and what it does, so while the brand name might technically be misleading, it still makes sense to use the word wax for the consumer.

Last edited by OhioState87; 06-26-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I know that BSM's website says that.
But that is for all the other stripes as a general guide.

I have spoke with them personally on the phone and they say NOT to wax the matte black stripes.

As far as U.V. protection... I am trying to see what they recommend.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I've used 303 plenty of times I'm sure I've gotten some on my paint no problems and I don't see any reason why, yeah I wouldn't use it on paint, but that's because it doesn't do anything for paint.

I use 303 on my mirrors, black trim, bumper areas that are black, trim inside, vinyl of course, now the blackout panel.

As for waxing I made that mistake once, with exactly that NXT2.0 I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using it on flat vinyl. I'm sure on gloss it's fine but I don't even use it on my flat black spoiler, if it don't shine, don't try to make it shine the only exception the the side stripe on the CS, they are actually printed on the back side of the stripe, that's how they make the fade, the surface while matte is clear, like contact paper and waxes fine.

Last edited by Starfire; 06-26-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Looks like I won't try the NXT 2.0 then. I was only going to try it on a small area first, but I won't waste my time now. I just really couldn't think of anything else to try; it's not like there's a dedicated Vinyl Graphic Care product out there.

I did some searching around over on Meguiar's forums and there's plenty of threads asking the same thing: "What do I use on vinyl stripes?" I've seen more than a few people saying they've had success with a product called Gold Class Trim Detailer. Here's a couple threads about it: 1 and 2

Quick Reply: Matte Black Stripe People, What do you use to clean?