Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 door drain issue....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Alphy07

Default '07 door drain issue....

Hi guys, first post here.

I picked up an '07 GT the other month. I have noticed that after I wash or if it sits out in the rain that when I open the drivers door that there is water laying on top the mustang sil plate.

I see that water is coming out the bottom of the interior door cover(which is to the inside of the door seal), which im sure its not suppose to. I also notice small black 'clip' looking things to the front and rear of the very bottom of the door which cover hole's in the door. Im assuming that either thats where the water is suppose to drain out the door or the window seal(or some seal) shouldnt be letting the water into the door?

Thanks for any help, and I hope this is the correct place for this thread

Last edited by Alphy07; 06-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Ive noticed the same thing on mine! i always dry the inside of the door sill everytime i wash the car. not sure what the purpose of the black tabs are though.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Alphy07

Did some searching on here and I think I found the issue:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...or-anyone.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5300951-post5.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...door-sill.html

I cant believe that the black plugs themselves would restrict flow that much so I figured I had enough gunk built up in there that it was blocking things. I had taken the plugs out previously and there was debris behind them, so i figured thats the issue. I went out, removed the plugs and used a dental pick to fish around and remove any gunk. Interestingly enough I didnt get much out. So either I have a blockage further up in the door(which doesnt look possible due to how the door design looks) or these plastic plugs actually did hinder water drainage THAT much. We'll see.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There is also a good bit of water that sits in the rubber seal around the door at the bottom. If you gently roll back the rubber just a bit after a wash the car you'll get some water out from the bottom of the door. It's not the only source of this water but it is a contributor.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Alphy07

So i took my plugs out and got any debris out of the slots. Water is still coming out from behind the interior door panel instead of the drain holes.

Guess ill have to try to find instructions on removing the door panel to have a look, or drop it off at the dealer
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue. Remove the door panel and you will see the vapor shield is probably not sealed all the way around. Buy the same soft, non-hardening sealer and fill the openings in the shield to door mating surfaces. This will prevent most of the water from getting to the door panel and it will drain out the holes instead. I also removed those little plugs and left them off.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

My 07 had that problem and the local Ford Dealer said it was not fixable. I took it to Ford Dearborn and they said that water on the door sill is normal and there is NO fix. My 09 door seal looks the same as my 07 but it doesn’t do it.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its normal.
The door sill is considered to be outside of the watertight (yea, right)
passenger compartment. The water is coming in thru between the glass
and the rubber window trim on the door.
It then travels down thru the inside of the door and out of drains in the bottom
of the door. Clogged drains causes a wave sound in the door while taking off
or stopping.
Sounds like someone upgraded the door speakers and trashed the plastic water barrier.
Your doors internal electrics wont like you for this.
It all needs to be there like OEM or water will come out from inbetween the door panel
and the door sheetmetal on the inside of the vehicle in an area deemed 'watertight'
by Ford.
There are two rubber seals. The inner one is to keep water out of the passenger
compartment and the other is to keep the door sill partially clean?
Attached Thumbnails '07 door drain issue....-door.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 07-01-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

mine is on tight

how is water supposed to be draining from it ?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alphy07
Hi guys, first post here.

I picked up an '07 GT the other month. I have noticed that after I wash or if it sits out in the rain that when I open the drivers door that there is water laying on top the mustang sil plate.

I see that water is coming out the bottom of the interior door cover(which is to the inside of the door seal), which im sure its not suppose to. I also notice small black 'clip' looking things to the front and rear of the very bottom of the door which cover hole's in the door. Im assuming that either thats where the water is suppose to drain out the door or the window seal(or some seal) shouldnt be letting the water into the door?

Thanks for any help, and I hope this is the correct place for this thread
Yeah, those black plastic things need to be removed. If not water will be trapped in the door and eventually the bottom of the door will rust out.

I had to remove mine when I first bought the car. There are two on each door.

Quick Reply: '07 door drain issue....