Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMOST DIED! LOST STEERING

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Default ALMOST DIED! LOST STEERING

I am heated guys. My grandmother wanted to go for a ride since she hadn't been in it yet in the two years and 20k miles I owned it. My wife, grandmother, and I, tore off down the street, had a little fun, and on the way back, my steering wheel locked completely.
I have lost power steering in other cars, but this was different...I couldn't fight the wheel for anything. Totally, completely, unbelievably, LOCKED!

Because I couldn't turn, I drove right off the road and into their front yard. If it was only a moment previous at a much different speed, we would have been dead!

I thought perhaps the car was off, but no. Still idling happily. As I sat there, I still could not turn the wheel. Shook it side to side and barely it started to move. I shut the car off, and start it up again, and whammo! The steering was back, but didn't feel right. I pulled up their driveway, and could hear the pump as though it was firing dry. I checked the fluid, and it was right at the max line. Just as expected because I had just had the oil changed at the dealer, and usually they top off the fluids.

With that said, I thought, well, the oil filter is right next to the steering pump, so perhaps some oil got on the pulley or belt. I couldn't see anything, but even still, how could it be fine for the whole ride home from the dealer that day, over to my grandparents, and then out for some horsing around, only to fail at the time I return to their home?

I parked the car in the garage, and played with the wheel, but all went back to normal...even the pump sounded normal again.

Was it overheated?! What happened! This is rediculous, and I hate to say this since I love this car, but my '95 altima is more reliable!

I can't find any TSB on this, and did not have any google-luck.

I can't rely on this car after experiencing something like this. Who knows if I will ever trust the quality again. Needless to say, I am very, very upset.

Comments, please.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Did the steering wheel actually go into the lock position or was it just really hard to turn.....That is very strange. Sounds go me like the steering wheel went into the lock position like when you turn it to tight without the key in and it locks. Other than that, good luck and sorry to hear about the problem.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
Did the steering wheel actually go into the lock position or was it just really hard to turn.....That is very strange. Sounds go me like the steering wheel went into the lock position like when you turn it to tight without the key in and it locks. Other than that, good luck and sorry to hear about the problem.
It was a cross between no power steering and an ignition lock. It wasn't a mechanical latch lock, but felt like I was fighting hundreds of pounds of pressure. It was not equivelent to manual steering. It was like there was something plugging the line. But then why did it go normal. I don't know why, but I am thinking overheating...

I did find a TSB saying that the type of power steering fluid has changed. I was never informed about this from the dealer, so it was not changed out. Could this cause it?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

if the pump 100% failed or locked up you wouldn't get assist, you would still be able to turn the wheel. if you couldn't steer at all the only thing I know of that could do that would be the steering column lock which is weird.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I would call the dealer and have them tow my car into the dealership to be inspected. Have you ever hit any curbs with your car? Maybe your steering gear or rack is damaged and it just happened to catch on a damaged tooth. Then maybe you broke that tooth off in your driveway and it went back to somewhat normal feel. Just one possibility.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

When the power steering goes, it doesn't feel like manual steering. It takes both arms and a good deal of oomph to turn the wheel.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Monkeyleg
When the power steering goes, it doesn't feel like manual steering. It takes both arms and a good deal of oomph to turn the wheel.
Sounds like it. For some reason, it isn't doing it now. Why the random occurance?
Well, I am hoping to get this to the dealer pronto, and will hopefully know more soon.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Keep us informed...
Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

sorry this happened....please let us know if they find out the cause
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Glad everyone's in one piece.

You should call your car Christine and get rid of it.

Quick Reply: ALMOST DIED! LOST STEERING