Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Only Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

If you had the gears installed by the dealer it probably would been free. Since you didn't, you've gotta pay.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Are you saying that a Ford dealer could do this for me with their computer?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Call Bama chips..talk to Doug.... tell him you need a emissions tune..if you want one..tell him your gear ratio and tire size....he will send tune for lot less than $150..BUT...I thought you could do it yourself with an SCT. I know I can change it with a custom tune... Never tried to change the tire RPM or gear selection on the stock tune with a SCT...I just always thought you could...Hmmmm Must try this when I get home...
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

+1
i'd guess bama would do it for free if you already purchased a tune from him. Simple fix just activate the 2nd 02's. my tune has them active, so i can pass TX emissions with a xcharger.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

wait so if you've had your car tuned it will fail an inspection? (i didnt look, are you in CA?) like mines dyno tuned..so i cant use the handheld... would it still fail an inspection? (and im not in CA)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slowstang06
wait so if you've had your car tuned it will fail an inspection? (i didnt look, are you in CA?) like mines dyno tuned..so i cant use the handheld... would it still fail an inspection? (and im not in CA)
It depends. The reason why it fails is because most tuners turn off the rear o2 sensors so you don't throw a CEL with an o/r midpipe.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
It depends. The reason why it fails is because most tuners turn off the rear o2 sensors so you don't throw a CEL with an o/r midpipe.
like mine were being ****** (my O2s) and i kept going to the shop and theyd make a more aggressive tune on it (retarding it) and this last time i got it back (had another dyno and stuff worked on) i got it back and it hasnt came on since (april) idk if they retarded it enough(sorry im having fun saying retarded) or just turned them off... and i have LTs with a CATTED X... -_- and so help me... i went out of my way to get the catted one just so i wouldnt have to worry about inspection...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Are you saying that a Ford dealer could do this for me with their computer?

Yes.
Show up early with a big ol box or two of doughnuts, napkins
and gourmet coffee. Sweet talk the service manager to hook the
ol stang up to the computer and change the rear end gear setting.
Be ready to pay and if you mention its going to be a cash sale, that
might be an added plus as those guys like to make a few extra hundred
on the side for just a few programming keystrokes. Its like programming
keys when you dont have 2 working originals.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
I just lived with it for 2 weeks. I knew I was 5-7mph slower than what it said, so I just always kept that in my mind. It's not really a big deal. I also have 4.10's and 295/45/18's. I guess if you wanted to you could hit up Bama for a tune that will pass emissions, IIRC the problem is that they turn off the rear o2 sensors so it will not go through the proper drive cycles to make it ready to test.
HAHAHAHAHA, You do realize that 4.10's with stock speedometer calibration is about a 20% difference. Which means, that you were adding 20% more miles to your car as well....
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM
distant.soldier
1st Gear Member

you can always have the dealership correct it for you. They have a tuner to. They would have to warranty the work (ie, if the tune is messed up), and you don't have to worry about breaking your warranty. My dealership does it free if they change your gears...or charge you by time if they don't. Takes what, 10 minutes to do, that around 15 dollars.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Only Please