Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I hate to dig up an old post but I'm having this exact same problem. Warmachine - did the O2 non foulers correct the CEL/allow you to pass emissions? What was the outcome?
Be sure to send him a PM, too. He may miss this thread.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Hey there,

I've been having the CEL issue for awhile, and just haven't had time to get around to it. Yesterday afternoon I finally called up Brenspeed trying to figure out if it was a tune issue or what, and this is basically how it was explained to me. I'm using a Magnaflow High-Flow Catted X.

The Rear O2 sensors sit down in the middle of your cat chamber and are basically there to report 2 things:

1. Is the cat there?
2. Is the cat working?

Although your cat may be still there, the main issue that is being seen is that aftermarket mid-pipes are considered "high-flow", pushing a lot more air through the cat than Ford had expected there to be, which throws off the sensor. If this happens for too many rounds of checking, then your CEL will be thrown.

In order to avoid this, it's recommending that you install the "O2 Sensor Raiser/Non-Fouler". This pushes the actual sensor portion up out of the middle of the chamber, and into the expanded portion of the cat where the air flow is abit reduced. They also said that it normally takes 1 per cat to accomplish this, but they occassionally have to use 2 per as a solution. They can just screw into one another.

At $10, I went ahead and ordered a set. Should be here at the beginning of next week and I'll install it by the end when I do my 15k maintenance. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I ordered a set as well just in case ths new emissions tune from american muscle doesn't work. I installed the new tune this afternoon and the car is running great but it usually takes me about 12 hours and a few driving trips before it throws the code. I'll know in the morning if I need the O2 non foulers or not. It's my "Plan B" . "Plan C" is to put the stock airbox back on with the stock tune but I REALLY hope I don't have to go there...

The good news is I'm now averaging 25.5 mpg with the new emissions tune and stock cams. I barely got 18mpg around town with the hot rod cams. I'll give up the 20whp.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Sorry, I haven't checked in on the site in a while.

I installed the non-fouler plugs, and the CEL eventually went out. However, the CEL is back. I assume it's the same code, but I haven't checked it.

I'm considering putting my stock H back on just to reduce the car's volume.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I installed the O2 raisers tonight and was about to start datalogging when the gf came over. I plan to datalog tomorrow morning and see what the O2s are doing...hopefuly these raisers correct the error. if now, I'll purchase the sct software and start tuning it myself.

Has anyone else used these O2 "raisers" successfully??? please chime in if you have. thanks.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 10-10-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Seems that maybe it's a Bassani cat problem. I didn't throw a code when I used Pypes cats with my prochamber.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

Bringing this thread from the graveyard.

I have been getting the p0420 code with inspections here in NC, So ordered these from brenspeed. Hoping they work. Anyone have any luck with these?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yes they will do the trick.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Here check this out! http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-cel-read.html
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Anything to get those rear o2's out of the exhaust stream and thinking they have clean air will work. I doubled up the anti foulers and it works like a champ. That long anti fouler grabber linked would be ideal too.