Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-09 model or 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Get a 10 if you can get a deal on one. You will have the latest body style, and unless you drag race at the track, there will be no need for the extra ponies from an 11 5.0L.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I just bought an '09 because the 10's just don't do it for me. I'm ok with the new front end, & I love the new interior, but I hate what they did to the back end. Another reason to get an '09 is the $4500 in rebates they're offering right now!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Ah, this could go on forever...very very subjective...But in my opinion, here are a few facts(in my book):

-Don't buy the 2010 mustang! Like mentioned earlier, it is
>A ~ First year model production vehicle(first years usually have more, 'bugs' than later years when they get ironed out)
>B. ~ Has the SAME engine as the 5 previous years, and most people like the 09-05's looks over 2010's (resale/general issues as it is the ONLY mustang made with new looks/old motor, so replacement parts could get hard to find)
>C. 2010's are going to cost a lot more than a 09' w/ rebates...take that money and upgrade the interior/exterior/performance how YOU want too....

- I could go on and on, this is just my opinion...but I would either get a 09'(less $$$ spent = more mods)....or wait until 2011's come out with the 5.0(More $$$ spent, but your not going to need as much $$$ b/c you already have the power/features you want in the 10's).....besides the butt ugly butt ;P jk

personally I have a 08' GT 5spd. I LOVE my car and will be driving it for as long as physically possible(fingers crossed), and after about 200k+ miles on the 4.6L, I'll switch in the new 5.0(probably be at a reasonable price by the time the 4.6 goes) and drive that for another 200k until the next engine .....Sorry for the rant, I'm not biased against the 05-09' vs. 2010's at all, I just love my baby

Last edited by clentonz; 07-12-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clentonz
Ah, this could go on forever...very very subjective...But in my opinion, here are a few facts(in my book):

>A ~ First year model production vehicle(first years usually have more, 'bugs' than later years when they get ironed out)
>B. ~ Has the SAME engine as the 5 previous years, and most people like the 09-05's looks over 2010's (resale/general issues as it is the ONLY mustang made with new looks/old motor, so replacement parts could get hard to find)
>C. 2010's are going to cost a lot more than a 09' w/ rebates...take that money and upgrade the interior/exterior/performance how YOU want too....

- I could go on, but this is only my opinion, but I would either get a 09'(less $$$ spent = more mods)....or wait until 2011's come out with the 5.0(More $$$ spent, but your not going to need as much b/c you already have the power/features you want in the 10's)

personally I have a 08' GT 5spd. I LOVE my car and will be driving it for as long as physically possible(fingers crossed), and after about 200k+ miles on the 4.6L, I'll switch in the new 5.0(probably be at a reasonable price by the time the 4.6 goes) and drive that for another 200k until the next engine .....Sorry for the rant, I'm not biased against the 05-09' vs. 2010's at all, I just love my baby
for the sake of not repeating the same stuff this is good advice to follow.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Bimmerbill
1st Gear Member

Good discussion! I know its subjective and I'm glad to get some good opinions and not a flame war.

The car I test drove was the GT Premium, with appearance package, 19" wheels and racing stripe.

They offered a $1000 rebate, but I didn't get into price negotiations. My first step is always seeing if I fit in the car since I'm 6'6". I can't even drive some cars!

I'll have to check for 09s and try to drive one. I wasn't aware of the $4500 rebate.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Even Steven
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
They offered a $1000 rebate, but I didn't get into price negotiations.

Wow! Without even getting into negotiations, they offered you $1000 off a 2010 Mustang GT? Hmmm...that in itself speaks volumes for the sales position of the 2010s
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Even Steven
Wow! Without even getting into negotiations, they offered you $1000 off a 2010 Mustang GT? Hmmm...that in itself speaks volumes for the sales position of the 2010s
And they are offereing $4500 on the '09s..does it speak volumes for that car as well?? Local dealer has a KR for $20K off in '09 model. So is it saying the '09 models are bad as well and they are trying to dump them??

Look, Ford right now has rebates virtually across it's entire line-up. The economy is bad and they are trying to sell cars so they are offering rebates. Don't read more into it than what is there.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by clentonz

>B. ~ Has the SAME engine as the 5 previous years, and most people like the 09-05's looks over 2010's (resale/general issues as it is the ONLY mustang made with new looks/old motor, so replacement parts could get hard to find) >C. 2010's are going to cost a lot more than a 09' w/ rebates...take that money and upgrade the interior/exterior/performance how YOU want too....

- I could go on and on, this is just my opinion...but I would either get a 09'(less $$$ spent = more mods)....or wait until 2011's come out with the 5.0(More $$$ spent, but your not going to need as much $$$ b/c you already have the power/features you want in the 10's).....besides the butt ugly butt ;P jk

So you tell him not to buy 2010 because it has the old motor and parts will be hard to get but then tell him to buy the '09 because it cost less and has more mods.....but it's the same engine..so won't the parts be hard to find

To clear something up as well....it is NOT the same exact engine that is in the '05 - '09 Mustang GT. It is the same engine package that is in the '09 Bullitt. Not exactly the same due to some ECU updates and the new CAI from Ford. I have NEVER heard anyone on these forums bytche about the Bullitt motor / HP. Plus it has the Bullitt suspension..only tweaked to make it better.

I agree there tend to be more bugs on first year production models..but this really isn't a 1st year production model. the 2011 with the 5.0 will be a 1st year production model as far as driveline is concerned...then your back to your 1st point about staying away from 1st year production models....

Ultimately it comes down to dollars, personal preference and overall appeal....
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM
FredK

I bought an 10 Premium on July 5th. Since I was the only guy in the showroom, I told them what I would give for their car, never dreaming that they would even consider such a low offer. They came back with an additional 1750 in rebates to make it happen.

Drives very firm. Wife likes the nav system and backup camera so it was a win win for us. Only bad thing was on the way home must have picked up a rock through the ac condenser so that's back being fixed. AZ to hot not to have ac.

I like it and at 6"5" I too have a hard time find something that fits me. Lots of head room and unlike the last Mustang 97 it has 2 cup holdholders which make the wife very happy.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I throw up a little everytime I pass the Ford dealership and see an 2010
from the rear or that lump they call a hood scoop thats taped to the hood...

Quick Reply: 05-09 model or 2010?