Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNOTUNE WORTH IT????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
07GT/CSVERT
1st Gear Member

Question DYNOTUNE WORTH IT????

So from the responses im getting on another thread i started im hearing that its not really worth it to get a dynotune with a cai, that the mail order tunes will get me the same gains?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

yes that is true you dont need a dyno tune till you do bigger things
Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

agreed...cai+Brenspeed, Tilman, Bama is excellent...beyond that...DYNO
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Once you feel that you have all the bolt ons your gonna get...thats when a dyno tune will help.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I had my JLT and tune from BAMA and it was great. My friend on the other hand had his tuned and got his numbers. Some time later I did a pull on my car and we compared. He was about 4 rwhp higher than my bama tune. Not worth the extra money. If you go blower , I would definitely do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Even though the canned tunes verses a dyno tune may not yeild much more power. I would like to get the economy delete things as my last power adder. Once im done with small bolt on power adders i want to get a dyno tune so i KNOW the A/F ratios are safe everything is running correctly. Even though i may not pick up much power, i know its dialed in to my car not just a unviersal tune. but only when im done small bolt on stuff. Once i hit the lotto and i can slam a 76mm turbo under the hood ill be done power wise so why not dyno tune it.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I had my JLT and tune from BAMA and it was great. My friend on the other hand had his tuned and got his numbers. Some time later I did a pull on my car and we compared. He was about 4 rwhp higher than my bama tune. Not worth the extra money. If you go blower , I would definitely do it.
+1

standard tune will be just fine with a CAI....if & when you decide to go with a blower, then you'll see the benefits of a dyno tune
Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
07GT/CSVERT
1st Gear Member

What about drivability with the canned big name tunes are they as good as stock with part throttle and around town driving?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Personally I would NEVER trust a mail order tune. I never realized how bad they were until I installed cams. All the mail order guys told me to hit the road at that point. I don't blame them. How can you properly tune a car w/o seeing the results throughout the powerband???

All these guys w/ mailorder tunes getting spanked by cars w/ dyno tunes doesn't surprise me.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

every single Mustang hits the streets with the same parameters. only difference is the Auto vs. Stick ECM profiles
we all know that a variable will cause a difference, but for 99% of the time a Canned Tune will be fine.

A competant shop can create outstanding tunes based on the cars they've seen and can safely sell those "Cookie Cutter" tunes without any issues.
Dyno Tunes will always be better...period.

but the costs associated with them aren't going to make the few HP/TQ gains worth it.

so why not go Canned, save some money and be perfectly happy with the results?

as previously mentioned, stay Canned with the simple bolt-ons that every Mustang owner does. But the second you start doing weird things, or get serious with a blower/turbo...Dyno only

Quick Reply: DYNOTUNE WORTH IT????