Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Muffler/M-80 user hows it sound w/o axle backs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Mid Muffler/M-80 user hows it sound w/o axle backs?

I was going to put a set of M-80s on my car with the macs. The drone is not too bad but i took it on a 5 hour road trip and it paid for it at the end. I was going on another this weekend trip and i was going to pop them in.

I was up in the air before about the MACs for the MM system. When i put them in im going to have them close to the H pipe where most people who do it them selfs put them. I was going to pop the mufflers of once i do it and see how the M-80s sound with the High flow cats w/ no axle back. Even though im sure the little bit of exhaust pipe for the muffler delete would change the sound.

i wanted to know for those who did the system or a custom MM system, did you run the car with no axle back delete? If so how close did it sound to when you put the delete on. Im going to fire it up like that to see how it sounds since that would be darn near the MM system. If i like how it sounds over the Macs then ill look for some loudmouths or something.

I looked on here before and i cant seem to get the wording right for the search and you tube though good for rough ideas of how things sound id rather get some one who did its opion so don't bash me if the awnser was right under my nose
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

i had the m80's mounted before i had my tailpipes bent up. had them mounted at the end of a 12" or so piece of pipe coming straight outta h pipe. rolled around like that for almost two weeks. it sounds great but drones a good amount in the cabin because exhaust stopped right under rear floor board. got the rest of the system bent up and welded in last saturday morning and i can say this, the drone, gone. lots quieter after tailpipes and very very tolerable when cruising. but you can always tell that its there, sounds great after hitting the fun pedal. perfect tone with m80's and tailpipes if you ask me. sure i'll want it louder someday but we'll see
Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I got mid muffler with a catted x, I love it, sounds good, still deep and almost no drone.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

did you ever run it w/o the muffler delete peice. I wanna know how much differnet the sound is w/o that part verses whens its on. If its not much then i will be able to get a great idea of what it will sound like. I will then have a MM with MACs. Could be the winning combo
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

your the only person I know running the MM and a axleback muffler at the back, basically you have 2 mufflers on, you know that right????

some of us who had the m-80 mounted are running slp LM out back but they are basically just tips.......

the pypes MM system comes with the m-80 and tips tat is it no extra mufflers at the back.

post a clip of your set up im curious to hear the sound with 2 mufflers on.

go to youtube and type in tombstang and u can watch plenty of clips of the m-80s and just tips......
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

read my first post, i had the m80's mounted W/O tail pipes and the sound was real nice, but lots of drone. got the tailpipes bent up last weekend, whole new sound inside the car, no drone at all, but sounds great out the back end

fyi: my setup: factory h(with cats) mid mounted m80's, tailpipes, no other muffler after the m80's. i think that would be weird, but hell if you do it then post a vid
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Correct i have 2 mufflers on m-80's and MACs. Pypes has a quad muffler set with the m-80s and i think there vilator muffler on their site. I finsihed it up, there a tad bid of exhaust leaks, it was SUCH a pain to get them to work. Since i could not get the over axle pipes of i had to cut them in under the car which is no fun. But i got them in and clearnce is no issue at all, but now they are the lowest point under the car.

First start up sounded ok, a little quite then before but i was expecting it. It was way deeper standing behind the car, i couldnt figure that out. But still great idle and the deepness i like. I took it out, it took all of the trumpeting away but it wasnt that bad before. But it deff took some bite away from the MAC's. That the only thing i dont like which i had a feeling it might. The are now a bit more quite in and outside the car and the drone does seem to be reduced. They still sound good but the MACs had a bite, that made them such a nice sounding muffler.

I had a chance to start the car up w/o the mufflers and w/ the M-80 it sounded ok but i didnt rev it or anything. I didn't want the exhaust to get too hot since i was still working on it. I may take the mufflers of next week and tie up the over axle so they dont bounce around and take it out see how it sounds

Ill take a video and post it up, I think i may end up looking for a set of loudmouth to take place of the MACs. Which one of the guys posted on my MAC video said i would end up doing any way haha
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by balls8302
read my first post, i had the m80's mounted W/O tail pipes and the sound was real nice, but lots of drone. got the tailpipes bent up last weekend, whole new sound inside the car, no drone at all, but sounds great out the back end

fyi: my setup: factory h(with cats) mid mounted m80's, tailpipes, no other muffler after the m80's. i think that would be weird, but hell if you do it then post a vid
Yeah i saw that, thats werid that they droned w/o the muffler delete pipe and it went are when i was on. If i take it out like that ill listen for that. I have Highflow cats and i know that makes things a little raspier louder, which i like. I just want it too be deep as well
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
your the only person I know running the MM and a axleback muffler at the back, basically you have 2 mufflers on, you know that right????

some of us who had the m-80 mounted are running slp LM out back but they are basically just tips.......

the pypes MM system comes with the m-80 and tips tat is it no extra mufflers at the back.

post a clip of your set up im curious to hear the sound with 2 mufflers on.

go to youtube and type in tombstang and u can watch plenty of clips of the m-80s and just tips......
Ive seen your one there a few times in my exhaust search, yours does sound GREAT. I have a splice in X sitting outside, if i do with the LM and i may toss that on too. It seems like with the MM system the X is the way to go.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
Ive seen your one there a few times in my exhaust search, yours does sound GREAT. I have a splice in X sitting outside, if i do with the LM and i may toss that on too. It seems like with the MM system the X is the way to go.
Good luck, be sure to post vids for us.

I want to hear a video with the macs and the m-80 on at te same time, it has to be pretty deep, to bad yo have cats though

Quick Reply: Mid Muffler/M-80 user hows it sound w/o axle backs?