Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

un-wanted wax...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 AM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Default un-wanted wax...

Does anyone know how to remove that annoying wax from the black plastic trim around the windows?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

i use a soft finger nail brush and some mothers plastic/vinyl cleaner... works for me all the time
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

had the same problem. armor-all just covered it up. barely. the magic tool? pencil eraser. takes it right of.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

i use mothers back to black, but an eraser followed by back to black might be the trick! the back to black only lasts a while before it starts to show again but it looks great for a while
Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

I've got a few things that have worked well in the past. One is a product called Acrysol. The catch is you'll usually need to go through a dealership to get it. They often won't sell it outright though, and you'll usually need to have connections. You may be able to order it online somewhere, but I've never needed to look.

Another option is 3M's Wax and Trim Adhesive Remover. I've seen this for sale in some auto part stores.

With both of those options use a small brush, a cheap toothbrush works well, to scrub the area you've treated with the chemical. Plastic trim is porous, and you'll need a brush to get all of it out. Otherwise you'll still see residual wax in the pores.

Treat the plastic trim with a protectant after doing this. As the cleaners above will also remove and Armor-All, Back to Black, etc. as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

I just used an old toothbrush and some of the soap from the soap bucket. I just go over it a few times and it is usually gone. I do it to all the black places on the car where I have gotten carried away with the wax and got it on black parts.

Andretti
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Years ago I used a tip from a friend that did auto detailing for stripping wax off of the car before any restoration work. I forget the ratio, but it was a kerosene and water mix that you used to wash the car. It may have been 4 parts water to 1 part kerosene. Otherwise, I'd use the solvent that I bought at an auto parts store for when I applied my side scoops. Since they use the 3M tape, the body had to be free of wax.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Like I said before, pencil eraser. I recomend getting like a hobby eraser because I ended up killing like four new pencils. Took all of five minutes to erase and armor all. Hardly any pressure is needed and erasers are realy cheap.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris09
Like I said before, pencil eraser. I recomend getting like a hobby eraser because I ended up killing like four new pencils. Took all of five minutes to erase and armor all. Hardly any pressure is needed and erasers are realy cheap.
i use pencil erasers, then a quick swipe with microfiber towel/quick detailer and its gone. usually use optimum spray wax though, so much easier than the paste.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

I used a microfiber towel and some of this stuff from a bottle I had laying around.

http://fw1shine.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=5

Sprayed it on the towel and scrubbed away. It worked surprisingly well for a product I bough at a gas station from some pestering kid that wouldn't go away.

Quick Reply: un-wanted wax...