Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
the HO kit is worth it IMHO, just do the math, $/hp and the added power is less costly on a $/hp basis then the added power of just the std kit.

I see 150*+ IATs ONLY after back to back pulls with ambient temps in the 75-80* range.

Cruising typically I see IATs 20-25* higher then ambient. Highway pulls from 40ish-120ish I may see 125-130*.
Im gonna monitor all my temps today. But from what you guys are saying it will make quite a bit of a cooling difference even when its 115 degrees outside here in Arizona?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Have you thought about meth injection? Don't know much about it, just read a few things on it. Costs about half of the intercooler set-up.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

It's not that you will see a horsepower change, just that when your engine is hot, you will not see as much of a drop. If you want more power, you will have to change the pulley to add boost, which is the reason most people add the intercooler - to allow for more boost. You simply can't get the IAT to go below the ambient temp, which is the only other way you would make more power. If the tune you have is right, you already have all the timing you can get, it will just pull timing as the IAT goes up, so once again, you will not gain anything, you just won't lose as much as the engine heats up.

If you are happy with how it performs when the engine is completely heat soaked and it is 90 or 100 outside, then I would say it is not worth doing. If the tune is done right, you won't damage anything, you will just lose power in the heat. If you don't like the loss of power on hot days after driving for a while, then get the kit, it will make a difference on that regard.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The highest I've seen my IATs in hot heat while at a standstill was 125*. Usually would get around 110-115 with 100-105 ambient while not moving.
Typically, with 100* outside and driving down the road, 102-105 IATs.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I've seen mine right around 115-140 depending when and how I'm driving. My car does love the cooler air, it just screams down the road..
Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

An intercooler in any south/south western state IMO is a must. Since your in AZ I would definitely recommend it.

Someone mentioned meth inj and it is cheaper and you can run more timing and therefore have much more HP regardless of the outside temp. Your IAT's after a pass down the track will never be over 135 degrees!!!!!!!

here is the proof and the reasoning for your reading pleasure! 470RWHP with no intercooler but meth inj instead!!!!!!! (12 psi)

link
http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

Real world testing too
quote from article
On most of our Alky installs including the ‘05 and up Mustangs we do build in some safety in the event of an Alcohol injection failure. We are taking the ACT sensor (Air Charge Temp) and relocating it up-stream from the blower in the inlet track (its normally intergraded into the stock Mass-Air meter and would only measure non-heated, before blower air temps). By relocating the ACT sensor after the blower in the intake track, it allows us to tune so that if the inlet temps skyrocket due to an Alky failure, we can tune the ECU to significantly reduce ignition timing to save the motor as the inlet temps would normally climb up if there where no Alcohol. Just to give an idea of how much the inlet temps are reduced with a Alcohol kit - on a typical, non-intercooled Vortech set up with 10 psi of boost, inlets can get as high as 225-250 degrees at the end of a full 1/4 mile pass on a warm day. With Alcohol injection on the same set up but with 12 psi of boost, the inlets never get over 135 degrees by the end of the 1/4 mile!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

mygt500 ive read that article, then after that i got all excited and did some research and i dont remember what was said, but mostly people said to stay away from the meth injection especially on a daily driver
Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
mygt500 ive read that article, then after that i got all excited and did some research and i dont remember what was said, but mostly people said to stay away from the meth injection especially on a daily driver
Very interesting stuff about the meth injection. I have never researched it and no little about it. Why did they say no for a DD?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

It is important to specify where the temp is being read in your setup before reading into anything. On a 90+ degree day, my IAT's will read about 155 in slow traffic when the engine is hot, about 145 when driving medium speed, and about 165 after a hard pull. That is measured post-intercooler in the manifold.

The centris have an advantage that the heat soak from the engine will not add to the intake temp as much as a positive displacement, which is why a simple air to air is usually sufficient. However, if the supercharger is hot, you will always see post-compressor temps at least 50-60 degrees higher than ambient air temp. Compressing the air heats it up, and the heat soak from the hot compressor (or turbine in the centri case) will add to it. If it is 100 degrees outside, the best you can expect after an intercooler will be in the 130 range, if pulling air from outside the engine compartment and cooling it before sending it to the heads.

That's another thing to consider - whether you are sucking in air from your engine compartment or getting it from outside. Even with a decent heat shield, an underhood filter will still be 20-50 degrees higher than the outside temp. So on a hot day in Phoenix (105), you start with upwards of 150 degrees IAT, then add the compressor and engine heat soak with the increase in temp from compressing and you can get into the 250 degree true intake temp range easily. At that point your computer is pulling timing like crazy to prevent detonation (if it is reading it at the right place), and you have already lost 50 hp from the hot air.. That is when you need an intercooler.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

I have 99% decided to go ahead and do it. Just need to talk to brenspeed and get some things figured out first. But just for how hot it gets here anything will help not only power but possibility for detonation and what not.