Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum, want a 06..........Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
keoni

Default New to forum, want a 06..........Question

So this is my first post, I am a newb. I grew up hearing stories of my dads Mach 1 and have wanted a Mustang since I was a boy. When the new body style came out I fell in love but the insurance was just to high for my taste. Recently after turning 25 with a good record the itch to have a Mustang crept up on me with the quickness. I test drove the V-6 which was faster than I thought it would be (driving four bangers will do that to you I guess) All I could think is "if the six can do this, imagine what the GT can do". I have Xplan and with my sales skills think I can swindle a dealer into giving me an 06 later this year for the X price which may be a deciding factor on whether I buy or not.

The price is the big factor here. I go back and forth with myself about it saying "all you really need is a V-6" then smack myself and say "are you kidding, if you get a Mustang its gotta be a GT! Pay the money" Here is my question. I have no experience with Modding but I am pretty good with my hands. What is a ballpark HP increase that one can get out of his V-6 with some simple cost effective mods. Are all the mods you put into your V-6 to get more HP basically going to even out with buying a GT price wise? I am torn. I want a Mustang so bad waiting until later this year to order will probably result in a mental breakdown. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New to forum, want a 06..........Question

If you add duals, CAI, headers, and a tune you are looking at 40-45 additional horsepower to the base V6. Your cost is going to be about $2,000. You will still be in the $25,000 range (tax, title and dealer prep) for a Premium V6 vs. $29,000 (tax, title and dealer prep) for the base Premium GT. The additional horses will take you close to level par with the 1999-2004 GT's at 260HP but well short of the 300HP for the base GT. The only way you are going to get a V6 to 300HP is add a super charger which currently is not available and will add at least another $4,000 when/if it is. If my math is correct (and I apologize if I am off a little GT drivers), a base GT will deliver the same power standard (and not void your warranty with a S/C) as a fully blown V6. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

agreed. As you said, if price is of a concern, go with the V-6. It's got better power than any V-6 and you will be able to get an X-plan deal on it. Just go to the biggest dealer in your area and get your down on one.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:07 AM
keoni

Thanks for the feedback. I guess now I have two options. I have tried to convince my wife to trade in her car, she is almost sold if I let her drive it some of the time. If I can get that deal closed I will just get what I want, a GT as I may be able to get the xplan anyway. If not, a slightly modded 6 it will be. I am going to die waiting to get this car.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:52 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

You gotta go GT dude........as someone else said unless you add a S/C you have no hope of getting near the power of the GT!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

My GT vs My V6.

Payment, $40 more a month
Insurrance, $14 more a month
Gas, $15 more a month
Driving a GT vs a V6, PRICELESS!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

go with GT!
My Xplan on GT Premium price is 26,484. plus tax,title,lic
Just find a dealer that will accept Xplan on 06 order, more seem to be offerering X plan on ordered 06's at least by me.
Its what you have always wanted! said so yourself, why not make it the best? already spending alot on the car, a few more thousand isnt going to hurt.