Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPOD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default IPOD?

Is there any kind of adapter I can add to my Shaker 500 head unit that would enable me to play an IPOD through my car stereo? Seems like there should be.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes. There is an adapter (can't recall the make and models) that will create an input. They're about $100-$150 if I recall and will require that you either remove or at least access the rear of the Shaker unit. You're probably better off finding a Shaker from an '07 or later. My g/f is having the same issue with her '06 and is currently using a unit that transmits on the FM band. The sound quality is fair and it cost her about $15 or so on ebay.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

I got an adaptor for my Shaker 500 that hooks the ipod directly to the head unit and controls the ipod with the stereo controls. The ipod itself is mounted in the glovebox. It displays the artist or title on the head units readout as well.

Here is the link to where I purchased mine: http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewP...93&SortOrder=1
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I bought one of these for my Ford (quick search on the bb site didn't find the ford version....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650491628
I have had it for a while, but I will tell you, scrolling through hundreds of albums is a pain in the *** (I have to click the button to scroll through the lists repeatedly). I keep putting off buying an aftermarket headunit because I'd rather spend my money on other things right now.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I've used the Peripheral Electronics iSimple ISFD73 ($150 from Bestbuy.com) for a year and change on my '06 GT with no troubles. It has two separate inputs, which can be used for an iPod, HDRadio receiver, or any standard Stereo Mini/RCA source. It will allow you to control the iPod from the head-unit directly giving you track/artist information, or you can choose to control the iPod from the unit itself by hitting the AUX button again. (Useful if you like podcasts, as the way the iPod sets them up works screwy with the iSimple.)

The second input is nice to have as well. I've got the iPod interface running into the center console, and the Stereo Mini/RCA hookup running into the glove box. When I take road trips, I can hook my GPS up to my stereo and use it to listen to music and as a handsfree set for my phone without having to mess with turning the stereo off/down or messing with any buttons. It's really rather convenient.

Total install time is about an hour, and requires you to take the center stack apart, and remove the head unit. It's all pretty easy, though.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I have one that I got from ebay. I think its a PIE but I had 2 other brands before and they both got power from the stereo head unit and both would make the canbus system reset. Now this one just gets power from the AUX (only charges the iPod when the car is on) and it has worked perfectly. Cant control the ipod from the head unit but I didnt want that (too slow to change songs)
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default IPOD Interface

I'm going with the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S from Logjam Electronics.com. $129.95, $12.95 shipping, 1 yr. warranty. Thanks guys!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I'm going with the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S from Logjam Electronics.com. $129.95, $12.95 shipping, 1 yr. warranty. Thanks guys!
I hope your purchase is one of the second versions.....I had the P.I.E. first generation and while it initially seemed to work ok (maybe three months), it started giving me errors saying 'no aux' (suggesting ipod wasnt connected) to eventually causing me to have total dash cluster errors (lost traction control, gas guage went to empty, said car was overheating...etc). I eventually got my money back from them even though it was over a year in the car (I park mine all winter so it really had only seen maybe 6 months of use at the time). P.I.E. pulled it off the market (recalled the unit) and took it off the compability chart as well since this problem surfaced with NUMEROUS mustang owners. Eventually I read that they came out with a second version, but had also read it caused some minor problems from most, if not all the users eventually. You may be different, but I would definately keep an eye on it and make sure you understand the return policy for the unit. At even the first problem with it, I would return it immediately and not mess around with it. Mine was installed in a '06 GT, but it was a shaker 1000 without sat radio (so that might explain the lack of problems for Kotobuki possibly) and again was problem free for at least 3 months (my brother still has his installed in his '05 gt with only a minor amount of problems to this day).

For the additional $25 I am purchasing the one made from http://brandmotion.com/ipod.php after sitting on not having one for almost 2 years today. I have read little to no problems with this unit. edit* I just ordered mine through Kevin Casey who is a parts depts manager at a ford dealership in CA. and I'm getting mine for $149.95 shipped.

As far as some of the 'difficulty' in using some of these units....I suggest making numerous playlists so you can find some specific songs faster as well as removing all the album names from every song on your ipod. These two things will make searching for a specific song about 1000X easier and is the way I used my ipod for the car the entire time I had the P.I.E. (and knowing the brandmotion one works the same way, I will continue to do this). The amount of times I was searching for a specific song, then guessed wronge on the album name and then had to go back to the very beginning of the search made me about lose my mind. When I removed the album names, it helped tremendously. Also, do yourself a favor....dont load your ipod with 10,000 songs in the first place. Even removing the album names wont speed up needing to search through that many songs. My iPod for the mustang has all of 200-300 songs. This is plenty for a semi-long trip and is a TON easier to navigate through than 1500+ or more. My other ipod is loaded with alot more songs (I own over 30,000 mp3's) and if for some reason I need or will drive a much further distance, I just switch out to that ipod in the car if I feel it is necessary.

Hope this helps. I'm sure the P.I.E. will be fine for you, just keep an eye on it.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti; 08-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
I hope your purchase is one of the second versions.....I had the P.I.E. first generation and while it initially seemed to work ok (maybe three months), it started giving me errors saying 'no aux' (suggesting ipod wasnt connected) to eventually causing me to have total dash cluster errors (lost traction control, gas guage went to empty, said car was overheating...etc). I eventually got my money back from them even though it was over a year in the car (I park mine all winter so it really had only seen maybe 6 months of use at the time). P.I.E. pulled it off the market (recalled the unit) and took it off the compability chart as well since this problem surfaced with NUMEROUS mustang owners. Eventually I read that they came out with a second version, but had also read it caused some minor problems from most, if not all the users eventually. You may be different, but I would definately keep an eye on it and make sure you understand the return policy for the unit. At even the first problem with it, I would return it immediately and not mess around with it. Mine was installed in a '06 GT, but it was a shaker 1000 without sat radio (so that might explain the lack of problems for Kotobuki possibly) and again was problem free for at least 3 months (my brother still has his installed in his '05 gt with only a minor amount of problems to this day).

For the additional $25 I am purchasing the one made from http://brandmotion.com/ipod.php after sitting on not having one for almost 2 years today. I have read little to no problems with this unit. edit* I just ordered mine through Kevin Casey who is a parts depts manager at a ford dealership in CA. and I'm getting mine for $149.95 shipped.

As far as some of the 'difficulty' in using some of these units....I suggest making numerous playlists so you can find some specific songs faster as well as removing all the album names from every song on your ipod. These two things will make searching for a specific song about 1000X easier and is the way I used my ipod for the car the entire time I had the P.I.E. (and knowing the brandmotion one works the same way, I will continue to do this). The amount of times I was searching for a specific song, then guessed wronge on the album name and then had to go back to the very beginning of the search made me about lose my mind. When I removed the album names, it helped tremendously. Also, do yourself a favor....dont load your ipod with 10,000 songs in the first place. Even removing the album names wont speed up needing to search through that many songs. My iPod for the mustang has all of 200-300 songs. This is plenty for a semi-long trip and is a TON easier to navigate through than 1500+ or more. My other ipod is loaded with alot more songs (I own over 30,000 mp3's) and if for some reason I need or will drive a much further distance, I just switch out to that ipod in the car if I feel it is necessary.

Hope this helps. I'm sure the P.I.E. will be fine for you, just keep an eye on it.

Andretti
Thanks Andretti. I looked at the BrandMotion web site and after reading through it, I agree it looke like a better choice. I think it's worth the extra money.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Damn, I was pretty set on the BrandMotion interface. I went to Crutchfield, they sell this line too. Then, I looked at the customer reviews and quite a few reviews were very poor. Most were good, but still a lot of bad reviews. Not sure what to do. Do I take a chance and just return it if it's crap?

Quick Reply: IPOD?