Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

File Format for USB Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

That's a great deal, wilkinda.

I much prefer the memory stick over the ipod connection, but the ipod handles more data and the playlist integration is seamless.

I'm concerned about theft and heat with a traditional harddrive - ipod or not - thus prefer the memory stick approach.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

I get all my computer stuff from New Egg and Tiger Direct so I am planning to check with them. My current 1 gig drive is holding 290 songs. I can't even imagine having 16 gig availalbe. It probably holds more songs that what I own!

Joe

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Yep, get an 8 or 16GB and don't look back

A couple weeks ago I bought my 8GB drive off NewEgg for $15. The prices have really been dropping.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
I get all my computer stuff from New Egg and Tiger Direct so I am planning to check with them. My current 1 gig drive is holding 290 songs. I can't even imagine having 16 gig availalbe. It probably holds more songs that what I own!

Joe
300 songs is 30ish albums. I have at least 500 albums plus singles, and dislike not having everything at my fingertips. The 16gb was filled rather quickly.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

I still have alot of vinyl albums that I have not transfered to MP3 yet. It is a long process going from real vinyl to MP3 plus alot of my records I don't like enough to go through all the bother. I guess if I organized all my music in to folders on the USB drive then I could listen to just what I wanted, when I wanted. Right now I am using TRACK mode. With 16 gig are you using FOLDER mode?

Joe

Originally Posted by NickelDime
300 songs is 30ish albums. I have at least 500 albums plus singles, and dislike not having everything at my fingertips. The 16gb was filled rather quickly.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

It makes since you can't use NTFS since its a Microsoft proprietary file system format.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

I use the artist / album / track/ genre interface to the few thousand songs on my 16gb, sometimes via sync voice (if I know what I want) but otherwise scroll thru artists to browse for something I like.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I ordered one of these USB 90 degree adapters so that the flash drive doesn't stick out as much. I already have a mini flash drive, but now I won't mind having a bigger one as it won't be an obstacle in the middle of my center console. I don't have it yet but it should work well.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Hooker

Mine acted a little wierd at first but eventually went right through and played. (fat 32 format btw)
I have a usb extension cable its like 3 inchs (not sure what the point of it actually is other that being flexible), but this serves the same function keeping it from sticking out in the console.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Sarge2155

Originally Posted by jocatch
FWIW:

I loaded up 200+ MP3 songs on my USB flash drive and then tried to play them in my GT with Shaker500 and it didn't work. I had formated the USB drive using NTFS. Apparently the Saker500 doesn't like the NTFS files. I reformated the drive for FAT32 and everything started working again.

Joe

I am not having any luck finding a USB drive that will even work in my Stang. What brand name is everyone using? Exact models and brand names would be helpful. I have tried two so far both FAT32 formatted. The system will not play my mp3s. They are not protected just regular mp3s, system says it is not able to play....what gives?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

My flash is Corsair but any drive formated properly should work. Are you sure the USB port is working? Somewhere on this forum I think someone had a bad connection and their port was not working.

Joe

Quick Reply: File Format for USB Drive