Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux on the radio - shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Aux on the radio - shaker 500

Hello,

I have a 2006 v6 Mustang and I would like utilize the AUX button on my radio. I have an FM transmitter for my ipod and cell phone but I would prefer to make use of the button if I can; for ease of use. I spoke to the Ford Dealership and they said the jack for the AUX is on the back of the sterio. That doesn't make any sense to me, why they would do that, but whaterver.

Has anyone modified or jeri-rigged their sterio to make the AUX accessable? I would like to find a setup that looks nice so that all I have to do it plug my ipod into something, push the AUX button and have my music play on my car speakers. If I can avoid cutting my dash or having a bunch of loose wires hanging around, that would be ideal. But I am open minded. Let me know what you did and any options you know of. Thank you.

I also have a thread on headlights if you would like to give your input. Thanks again.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/gene...ghts-help.html

Last edited by LordRipberger; 08-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

There's an MP3 jack in the front of console compartment that works with the AUX button. The AUX button also controls Sirius if installed. There are 3 Sirius positions that come up on the display (SAT 1,2,&3) and the Line 1 postion is for the MP3 input.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Where exactly is this jack? I have had several people in the car looking the plugin before I spoke to the dealer. And if it were really easy to get to, why wouldn't the dealership tell me about the jack on the backside of the sterio?

Thanks for your quick reply and help so far.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

He wouldnt have one on a 06 mustang.. I think they started that in 07 or 08.

You would need to get a adapter. I went with the PIE adapter and it works great. Some people like to control their iPod through the stereo also but I didnt want that. For mine I used a headphone to rca cable and power (so it charges the ipod) and then plugged that into the adapter. You will need to install it though by taking apart the dash. Not very hard, it can be taken apart in just a few minutes.

Someone actually has a kit like I did mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Would you be able to post a photo? I am curious about how it looks inside the car all finished and installed.

How do you have the wires coming out of the dash? Did you have to drill holes?

Do you know of any other option that doesn't involve buying a $100 conversion kit? Just trying to see what all my options are before I choose one.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I could try to find a guide online but I did it all just by taking things apart.

No holes need to be drilled. I just ran the wire out the side under the center console. I have my ipod on a mount.

No other options other than a FM tuner which sucks. 100 dollars actually isnt too bad and for me thats the only one that ever worked. All the others reset my canbus system (made the gas gauge, oil pressure and voltage all go to 0)

I will take some pics tonight of the finished product and try to find a guide online.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
SpeedingBullitt
2nd Gear Member

i just replaced the whole head unit. i have the 90bt avic and there were a whole lot of wires.i had to get a special ford harness that cost 140 plus the pricee of the new radio.i had the shaker 500 and wanted the nav system.i have my ipod in my glove box nowand easy access to everything through the unit. if you have to go through the back of your radio its easy to do and you dont have to drill any wholes just snap apart the dash pieces and console and your in. theres an open area betyween the glove box and the back of the radio.my unit also charges the ipod.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

This is what I used. After getting fed-up with the FM transmitters I gave up and just this. Haven't had a problem yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218068779609
Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Avengence,
Thank you for yoru help. I look forward to your picture.

Vipermk,
would you be able to send me a photo of it all installed in your mustang?

Thank you everyone else for your input so far. Keep up with the suggestions!
I am trying to find the simplest option as well as most useful. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

http://brandmotion.com/ipod.php

Here is how I got my aux button to work. Charges the ipod and allows you to control it from your factory head unit. No visible wires, even the ipod itself is in the glovebox. There is another thread going on this right now, just search for 'ipod'

Quick Reply: Aux on the radio - shaker 500