Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Lights - Which One? (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by mygt500
which kit did you buy? and from who?

Retrosolutions
and Stang mods are great suppliers of HID retrofits and both are plug and play....
I got mine from retro and no issues and i saved about 600 bucks instead of buying the Saleen HID's with housing etc.....
I bought these kits off of this guy from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_7390wt_1167

I don't see plug and play - is that why it didn't work, or what do you think what the problem is?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtnblk.GT
I bought these kits off of this guy from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_7390wt_1167

I don't see plug and play - is that why it didn't work, or what do you think what the problem is?
How many ground wires did that system come with? And did you ground them to the same grounding points your stock bulbs used?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
How many ground wires did that system come with? And did you ground them to the same grounding points your stock bulbs used?
Im sorry, what ground wires are you talking about? I have two ballasts, a relay, and the bulbs...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by 157db
Um, wire them properly and they work properly?
The computer as you call it is a SmartJunctionBox
and it can be fooled into proper operation with
aftermarket HIDs...
U usin a relays for them there HIDs or just plug
n play en em into the OEM headlight bulb connectors?

HIDs in OEM housings is not the way to go.
You gotta pay to play.
And you get what you pay for with HIDs....
I was using the relay for the bi-xenons. what exactly does plug and play do? Also, why is oem housings not a good idea for hids? Sorry, I'm still new to these HIDs stuff.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

I was using the relay for the bi-xenons. what exactly does plug and play do? Also, why is oem housings not a good idea for hids? Sorry, I'm still new to these HIDs stuff.
Not sure why they are notworking for you, it indicates a wring harness is included. Perhaps it is a problem with the ground connections, or possibly the relay unit(s) require too high voltage to work. I'd personally be skeptical of any HID kit advertisement that did not even show the kit, kit parts, bulbs colors..... etc. They make a lot of claims but show no product???

On all 2007+Mustangs, and some 2006 models, the headlamps lack any bulb shields. This means the bulbs really need to be coated with an opaque binding material to block the light through the top of the bulbs (just like the stock bulbs are coated). We are currently the only manufacturer offering such coatings... with out the coating HID bulbs should not be installed in those model years.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:10 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by Retrosolutions
Not sure why they are notworking for you, it indicates a wring harness is included. Perhaps it is a problem with the ground connections, or possibly the relay unit(s) require too high voltage to work. I'd personally be skeptical of any HID kit advertisement that did not even show the kit, kit parts, bulbs colors..... etc. They make a lot of claims but show no product???

On all 2007+Mustangs, and some 2006 models, the headlamps lack any bulb shields. This means the bulbs really need to be coated with an opaque binding material to block the light through the top of the bulbs (just like the stock bulbs are coated). We are currently the only manufacturer offering such coatings... with out the coating HID bulbs should not be installed in those model years.

Hm... my mechanic told me it was the car's computer that does not know how to work with these lights or that doesn't pick up these lights at all. what exactly does plug and play do?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hm... my mechanic told me it was the car's computer that does not know how to work with these lights or that doesn't pick up these lights at all. what exactly does plug and play do?
The SJB wants to see a bulb filiment resistence or the bulb burned out feature will kick in...
A load resistor and a relay should fool the SJB into thinking the OEM
bulbs are still hooked up with the HIDs and ballasts installed....
The fog lights dont draw power thru the SJB but a relay in the BEC
under the hood so you should be good to go with the HID fogs....
Old 08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by 157db
The SJB wants to see a bulb filiment resistence or the bulb burned out feature will kick in...
A load resistor and a relay should fool the SJB into thinking the OEM
bulbs are still hooked up with the HIDs and ballasts installed....
The fog lights dont draw power thru the SJB but a relay in the BEC
under the hood so you should be good to go with the HID fogs....
I have the relay, but i don't think i have the resistor. Also, I heard capacitor also fix the computer problems as well. true?

what hid brand do you highly recommend? Im looking for high/low beam kit and a foglight kit that actually works great. I've been hearing retrosolution is the way to go, do you agree?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

As I said, My RetroSolutions kit was plug & play. No gimicks like resistors needed.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have the relay, but i don't think i have the resistor. Also, I heard capacitor also fix the computer problems as well. true?

what hid brand do you highly recommend? Im looking for high/low beam kit and a foglight kit that actually works great. I've been hearing retrosolution is the way to go, do you agree?
Nope on the capacitors being used to fool the SJB.

Seems like RetroSolutions is the way to go.
Site sponsor as well.
Maybe a forum member discount....

Quick Reply: HID Lights - Which One? (Help)