Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine build advice for NOOB...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default engine build advice for NOOB...

If someone were to build up their own race prepped engine, along with the proper guidence and knowledge. what would the nessessary tools needed be?

Reason being, is that I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to find a GT motor (5.0 even), take it a part, see how all the parts work, research on my own what everything does what.. and then put it back together. I guess my goal would be to see exactly how everything works inside and out. Then I'd want to build it up. Just for reference- I have ZERO training nor technical knowledge of engines and I also have zero shop experiance.

I just want to get it done for the experiance of doing so...

classes just started and it's VERY tedious going through chapters and chapters on fire saftey and why it's important to wear shop glasses.

(O_o)?!

In the two years getting the basics down, if I worked soley on motors, trannies and superchargers.. I'd know more then the graduating student IMO.. (maybe, on those subjects at least)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

I'd let someone else do it. There's a lot more to it than just taking bolts out and putting them back in. You have to worry about tolerances, parts compatibility, and if you do something wrong -- there goes all the $$ and time you just invested. Plus, unless you're a seasoned tech you are gonna need a plethora of tools you don't have and good advice/help is hard to come by esp if you've tried to DIY. Saw a sign in a shop that said:
SHOP LABOR -
$50/hour to fix it
$75/hour to watch
$150/hour if you tried to fix it yourself.

lol. In comparison, it'd be like trying to give multiple orgasms your first time in the sack. You gotta build up to being that good. There's more than just "I'm gonna do it". Even some seasoned techs can't handle that can of worms.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I thought of doing something similar. I would try to but a salvaged motor for as cheap as possible and tear it down. Don't use anything from your car or something expensive. Take it apart and do the research. You will learn so much info.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
I'd let someone else do it. There's a lot more to it than just taking bolts out and putting them back in. You have to worry about tolerances, parts compatibility, and if you do something wrong -- there goes all the $$ and time you just invested. Plus, unless you're a seasoned tech you are gonna need a plethora of tools you don't have and good advice/help is hard to come by esp if you've tried to DIY. Saw a sign in a shop that said:
SHOP LABOR -
$50/hour to fix it
$75/hour to watch
$150/hour if you tried to fix it yourself.

lol. In comparison, it'd be like trying to give multiple orgasms your first time in the sack. You gotta build up to being that good. There's more than just "I'm gonna do it". Even some seasoned techs can't handle that can of worms.

okay, okay.. I suppose you're right lol.

I do however, in sometime in the near future plan on building up a 4.6 L, not sure if it's gonna be mine nessessariy, but I will...

(-:

just for 650 whp, nothing crazy like 1,500 like the hardcore guys are.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
I thought of doing something similar. I would try to but a salvaged motor for as cheap as possible and tear it down. Don't use anything from your car or something expensive. Take it apart and do the research. You will learn so much info.
I was thinking along the same lines. I might try to find an old 5.0. or something from a later GT.. something Ford or possibly be a trader and work on a 1.8 Honda lol.

junkyard turbo kit!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

look around for a terminator block. i bet you can find one in a local shop where you're at. i found one locally that can be had for under 1k, it needs refreshing and all, but its cheap. i thought about it a lot, but i have no time to tinker. but if i did, i would buy it.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Don't live in fear, do it, doing your own work is great.
Just get good shop manuals, and quality tools.
Yes there are some things that are fairly critical, but most of it is just unbolting and rebolting of parts.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-are-here.html
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't be afraid..Just do your research and be extremely thorough. The sense of accomplishment you'll gain from doing it yourself will be well worth your time spent. As long as you've done your due diligence, you should be fine. Worst case? Just it!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
holy smokes.. now THATS a REAL motor build up.. shheeesh!

I wouldn't know where to start if I was on such a project, but I'd be excited just to have those parts lol.

Quick Reply: engine build advice for NOOB...