Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears... What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Default Gears... What would you do?

My first s197 mustang was a 2006 GT convertible auto. I added 3.73 gears to it and the performance was amazing. The only problem was that after 2 reputable shops and 3 sets of gears the car couldn't be set up without gear whine.

I then got a 2008 GT manual. After 1000 miles the stock 3.55 started whining. Then the drivetrain had a complete meltdown and I was able to get out of that car under the lemon law. The whining in that car was so bad I literally had to wear ear plugs on the highway.

Now I have a 2010 GT with the 3.31 gears and a manual. I wanted the 3.73s but when I bought the car they only had one car with 3.73s and it was in a color and option package that I couldn't live with.

I really want the 3.73s, but the stock 3.31s are absolutely silent. They make zero noise and that really makes me happy considering my prior experiences. But, it sure would be nice to have the pull and acceleration of the 3.73s.

I contacted a local shop that has a good reputation (not one of the shops previously used), and specializes only in differential work for drag cars, off road vehicles, and has experience with ford rear ends on mustangs. They guarantee a noise and vibration free install for one year. If they get it right, great I get the gears and no noise. If not, I get a noisy rear end and my money back.

Not sure what to do here... Any insight is appreciated. I'd really like to upgrade, but I don't want to have to deal with noise and trying to get it fixed later.

Blair
Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Xzibitstang

I'd do it man. I havn't had the luxury of driving my car just yet however I ordered it with the 3.73 so I'm hoping for the best on it. If you really are passionate about having the extra pull and acceleration that the pack provides, try it. If not you may kick yourself later on for not at least trying it. Plus, whats a little noise?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:50 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

Blair give Allen Gear Works a call I been using them for ten years no problems at all. all they do is gears and axles good prices to. By the way the suspension works great.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

JOHNNY:

That is who I was planning to use this time around. They came highly recommended and guarantee their work. If you vouch for them I feel more comfortable about using them and getting a good result.

Blair
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

sounds like you've gotten a really good lead on a shop...that's usually what it takes. I can't say that I know exactly what you're talking about because I've personally never had that experience, but I had a friend that had the exact same problem and it seemed like no matter where he took his car, the rear end always seemed to go bad over time. in the end, he finally took the car to a performance shop, paid out the wazoo, but got his car fixed.

in the end it took 2 sets of gears, several shops, LOTS of money, & weeks of being without a car...needless to say, it was a painful experience
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I went ahead and made an appointment to get them done next week. I'll report back on the results. I am planning on doing 3.73, but while I'm in there maybe 4.10s would be a better choice. I'm not going to do any power adders, just a few bolt ons. Decisions... decisions...

Blair
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I would give a good look @ the 410a from ford racing . I had the dealer install mine and it is just as quiet as stock . Don't skimp on the gears
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Dropped my car off today to get the 3.73s installed. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up with any gear whine...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
FIST

Hey Blair, I'm in the same position as you. I found the car I wanted minus the 3.73 gears. I've been looking to re-gear to either 3.73's or 4.10's. I'm interested to see how that works out for you and what you went with? I'm looking at adding a s/c at some point and hear that 3.73's would be the way to go. However, the car runs great right now and I'm a little nervous about fixing something that aint broken. How do you like that stg2 Roush susp? How much did you pay for install?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:21 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blair
Dropped my car off today to get the 3.73s installed. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up with any gear whine...
Waiting with baited breath to hear how this goes....

Quick Reply: Gears... What would you do?