Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advantage in replacing rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
gmlgmlgml

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
So would you say the shaker 1000 system is worth it then???
Excellent question . . . a bit of background. I had an '05 & an '06 with the shaker 500. This '10 has the nav/info system. With that option, the car simply has the shaker (not shaker 500).

the bass sounds a little weaker. not sure if this is a lack of power or the upgraded sound insulation dampening the resonance in the front subs.

shaker 1000 incorporates a sub in the trunk . . . a very nice fit. i could not go there because I play golf and it took away enough room where I could not fit my clubs there.

nonetheless, if your musical tastes enjoy some thump - the shaker 1000 is very competitive with 3rd party "custom" systems e.g. crutchfield has a system that "fits" into the contours of the mustang trunk. and this will set one back 550 to ???.

furthermore, if i wanted the thump (and who doesn't), a 3rd party installer will #1) endeavor to siphon the low end off of the wires to you rear speakers. (ungood) or #2) siphon off of the front door mounted subs (the least ugly baby). when actually the head unit has a discrete sub out that most installers are not aware of.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 PM
gmlgmlgml

Originally Posted by jocatch
Well, I called Crutchfield again and got more info from them. The guy tried to talk me out of the Polks and to go with the Infinity 6822CF speakers which are 1/2 the price! He said they were more efficent than the Polks. Looking at their web site I don't see that under specs. I see the Polks more sensitive. I also read the 45 reviews for the Infinitys and alot of people said the bass ls lacking. So I still want to the Polks. He also said that the Shaker500 DOES NOT have a crossover cutting out the lows going to the rear speakers.

The guy did give me some info on installing. It seems that the two side plastic panels (the rear seat arm rests) have to be removed to get to clips which hold the rear deck panel in place. I don't think I want to do that, not even sure if I need any special tools for that.

Joe
i went there on my '06. the armrests never reset the same. on certain songs with lots of bass, there was this buzz that drove me crazy. and in fact, that was indeed the reason I traded the '06 for a '10. that buzz would not go away. even went so far as to compensate professionals and all were at a loss.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmlgmlgml
Excellent question . . . a bit of background. I had an '05 & an '06 with the shaker 500. This '10 has the nav/info system. With that option, the car simply has the shaker (not shaker 500).

the bass sounds a little weaker. not sure if this is a lack of power or the upgraded sound insulation dampening the resonance in the front subs.

shaker 1000 incorporates a sub in the trunk . . . a very nice fit. i could not go there because I play golf and it took away enough room where I could not fit my clubs there.

nonetheless, if your musical tastes enjoy some thump - the shaker 1000 is very competitive with 3rd party "custom" systems e.g. crutchfield has a system that "fits" into the contours of the mustang trunk. and this will set one back 550 to ???.

furthermore, if i wanted the thump (and who doesn't), a 3rd party installer will #1) endeavor to siphon the low end off of the wires to you rear speakers. (ungood) or #2) siphon off of the front door mounted subs (the least ugly baby). when actually the head unit has a discrete sub out that most installers are not aware of.

I put the crazy money system in my silverado (JL w7 subs, 2 1000W alpine amps, infinity speaker amps, polk components, alpine HU etc etc etc) and Thats more for when I really feel like rocking. The thought of tearing up a brand new car scares the **** out of me to be honest. Wheter I do it, or a guy at bestbuy (not a chance in hell) or a pro guy. IM just looking for a good sounding sound system that I can add on to my loan and call it done and the shaker 1000 sounds like its a winner then. Trunk space is not a concern to me as I only golf in remote locations and for that I take my yukon since I usually travel for that. The mustang will be much like the vette, a fun weekend car when the weather is nice.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

If anyone cares I have a set of JL ZR series speakers, brand new purchased from a dealer meaning they have a warranty, these are the best around for under $700 per speaker set, paid $550 per set (though you can get them online for $400), yours for $600 for two sets.

Obviously these fit the Mustangs (5x7). The guy who does cars for Kanye West and the Lakers designed my system after I already got the best equipment and he said the stuff I paid $10,000 for is barely better to the untrained ear. I'm trying to win the world sound competition finals though.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
bluestang35

I would say leave the stock speakers intact and add a sub/amp in trunk.

Replacing the headunit would be my choice like I did in my 07 mustang (Kenwood nav/Subwoofer in trunk)but I got the nav unit with my 2010 and do not want to change it. So I'm looking into maybe adding Jl's clean sweep or rockford 360 to inprove the sound.

Note: I read in the manual book the if you add a subwoofer in the trunk to keep it a far away as possible from the center console to keep from interferring with the sensors in the Advanced Track Control. Has anybody done this and have had problems