Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Break-in" Period

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

Default "Break-in" Period

Picked up my Torch Red GT Wednesday afternoon and have a question on when to start modding. I know there isn't any real "break in" period so to speak but, the manual and my salesman say not to drive at any constant speed for the first 1k miles. Is it prudent on my part to wait to order a tune, exaust, etc, until after the first 1k miles? As far as pic's go, I won't have time 'til next week to post(once I figure out how) as we will be away for a few days. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

so many schools of thought on this. I just drive it like its meant to be driven. I took it on a round trip from pheonix to san diego last weekend, adjusting rpm as i went...which is code for bouts of haulin' ****. Im now at about 2600 miles on the odo. Ill be changing the oil next week.

Also, on your 1000 mile question- I changed the exhaust out after about 200 miles. I myself would wait for a tune till after the 1000.

Last edited by Xcelsius; 09-11-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Don't stay at the same RPM for long periods of time. Don't slam on the brakes until your rotors get a chance to break in. I wouldn't make it a habit of hitting the rev limiter, but I don't think you need to baby the engine either.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Xcelsius;6487982] adjusting rpm as i went...which is code for bouts of haulin' ****.

We are heading up to Maine for the weekend and will be taking the GT. Maybe I'll get most of that first 1K miles out of the way. Xcelsius, I'll try to practice your "method" of RPM fluctuation lol.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

Mod away, just try to keep from wot for a while, roll into the throttle and try to get some short trips on it before you hit the open road.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're "however many miles on the odometer since you took her from the dealership" late. Why wait? I hear of guys waiting until they're out of warranty and by then they've missed the best times of all... When she was NEW.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

I drive all my vehicles hard from the time I pick them up to the time I get ride of them. A few I have had parts before the car was purchased and others were at the dragstrip or on the dyno with less then 500 miles on them.

There is no need to wait to mod.

The break-in is whatever you feel is nessecary as almost everyones opinion will vary.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 PM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

my 09 gt was my 3rd new car, my first sports car, but the day i picked it up in Bermerhaven Germany i drove it ~450 miles home. It still runs like a champ. I am a firm believer that if you drive it like you will drive it from the start it will hold up better. right now i have just over 18k miles on it and it still runs great. For example my first new truck was a F350 diesel and the truck was less then a week old, and i towed a cattle trailer (5th wheel type) with 4 head a beef (full grown Bulls) in it just over 700 miles to a cattle auction and that truck now has ~350K miles on the original motor and according to the new owner (family friend) it still drives great.

in short drive it like you stole it from the start, for the first 500 miles or so dont use cruse control and dont hold the same rpm for more then a few seconds dont hit either the rev or speed limiter and change to good oil at 500 miles and you will be fine.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dagamore
... change to good oil at 500 miles and you will be fine.
Just curious -- what do you deem "good oil" to be?

Stick with Motorcraft? Other brand? Go fully synthetic? etc.?

I want the best for my machinery :-)

Thanks kindly.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Im scared now great!!! I had to have my dealer find mine and they drove it from over 120miles Now the guy that prob drove it prob drove it at a constant speed!!! ARGHH But anyway changing my oil tommrrow Valvoline SynPower just until I make my mind up if I want to use Royal Purple again! This Moly stuff in the oil has got me concerned about my friends at Royal Purple!

Quick Reply: "Break-in" Period