Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a stupid question Re: HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Default Maybe a stupid question Re: HIDs

From my research on the topic, it seems that HID bulbs are very similar to those used in HDTVs and the like (their life length can be effected by the number of on/off cycles). I'm thinking of getting a conversion kit for my fog lights to match the factory HID system that came from Ford. But the question is will these types of lights be adversely affected by coming on when I unlock the door, then shut off for a short period only to come right back on again when the engine starts? I assumed that was the reason they moved the perimeter lighting feature to the fogs when you get the factory setup.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
From my research on the topic, it seems that HID bulbs are very similar to those used in HDTVs and the like (their life length can be effected by the number of on/off cycles). I'm thinking of getting a conversion kit for my fog lights to match the factory HID system that came from Ford. But the question is will these types of lights be adversely affected by coming on when I unlock the door, then shut off for a short period only to come right back on again when the engine starts? I assumed that was the reason they moved the perimeter lighting feature to the fogs when you get the factory setup.
Yes. The more you turn them on and off the more life you take out of them.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The manual in your car states how to disable the perimeter lighting feature if you want to. I keep mine enabled even though I have HIDs. To disable it, you just have to do a couple of key cycles and pressing the lock/unlock on the drivers door in a certain order. It only takes 30 seconds to do.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
The manual in your car states how to disable the perimeter lighting feature if you want to. I keep mine enabled even though I have HIDs. To disable it, you just have to do a couple of key cycles and pressing the lock/unlock on the drivers door in a certain order. It only takes 30 seconds to do.
Yep, I was thinking about that but I do kinda like that feature so I was making sure I had all the facts before I decide to shut that down
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

You'll also save the lifespan by using a kit with ballasts that actually have instant hot re-strike ability like ours do. This saves unecessary strain on the bulbs by limiting starting currrent to what is needed for breakdown voltage of a warm bulb rather than the full charge needed for a "cold" bulb.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...solutions.html