Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch & Supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch & Supercharger question

Question for owners with superchargers and stock clutch....

Right, some of you know my car, but just to recap:

06 GT, 12,500 miles from new, STOCK clutch, had Whipple HO on from around 4,000 mile mark. Makes around 450RWHP

I don't drag race it, NEVER power shift and although I have taken it on road course track days, I'm very easy on the clutch, ie, in or out, not dragging it etc.

The question: I know it's not something you want to do normally but somebody must have done it - Can you induce clutch slip in 4th/5th gear? It would seem natural to me that the stocker wouldn't be able to resist the torque of the blown motor but.............

Today I was out on a back road on the way home and during a WOT run in third gear she broke traction slightly on the slightly dusty asphalt, I guess it was at around 75mph, so no sweat, I merely grabbed 4th and kept on it, I definately felt/saw some small slippage.
Of course that bugged me incredibly so I had to try it again, and sure enough I can coax slippage in 4th. Depending at what RPM/throttle I engage the clutch, I can actually get the clutch to lose the motor versus clutch battle.
Now I've got to be hitting it hard to do that but really, is that something I should expect with 455rwhp+ and a stock clutch? I have felt it before, on the way to the road course of all times/places, but she ran fine on the course with no issues and that was probably 1000km's ago.

The other thing could be that the slave cylinder isn't fully releasing, i notice the bite point is much higher of late... Is there an easy place i can easily crack the line for a split second to release any hydraulic pressure which might be still in the slave ??

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 09-16-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

could be the stock clutch. i felt slippage in the stock clutch when shifting hard into 4th, i dont shift hard into 5th. i think the stock clutch has some slippage even if its new, it just doesnt grab like a higher hp one. i have since gone to a CF DF clutch and flywheel, and there is no slippage with hard shifting, just grabs hold.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

I hate to say but you might be coming up on time for a real clutch, I would be glad to get the life out of the one you have. Thats some power for a stocker!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
could be the stock clutch. i felt slippage in the stock clutch when shifting hard into 4th, i dont shift hard into 5th. i think the stock clutch has some slippage even if its new, it just doesnt grab like a higher hp one. i have since gone to a CF DF clutch and flywheel, and there is no slippage with hard shifting, just grabs hold.
That's what I hoped/figured. Like I say I had the feeling it happened before but then was fine on the road course although I wasn't short shifting under power then.

I guess hard shifting hard into 4th/5th is just something to avoid.

I'm trying to resist a 'real' clutch, I like the soft feel of the stock pedal action, a stiff clutch action would just become tedious and again, I don't drag race or power shift anyways, I'm actually very careful of the clutch.