Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gear GRIND!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation 3rd Gear GRIND!

Ok I suck at searching but I did do a search and my answer was not found. Sorry if this has been beat to death.

On a cold start my car grinds 3rd gear. It is a 2008 GT Manual. It has done this since about 5K miles (15k now). It usually only does this after a couple of days of sitting or on really cold morning (do not get many down here in the south).

Known problem? Obviously I am taking it to the dealer but was just curious and wanted as much info as I can get before taking it in.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I think there may have been a TSB for the syncros, but your dealer will know. Maybe somebody who had the work done will chime in and let you know.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Yep, there is a TSB out there for it, though I'm not sure what it is right off hand. I've had my car fixed for that very reason, put new synchros on 2nd and 3rd. That being said, it still does it so it's going back once things cool down again.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
Yep, there is a TSB out there for it, though I'm not sure what it is right off hand. I've had my car fixed for that very reason, put new synchros on 2nd and 3rd. That being said, it still does it so it's going back once things cool down again.
I see you are also in NC. Where (approx?) I am near Charlotte and got my car at Keith Hawethorne Ford. Mine will be heading there soon.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

I think if I remember correctly, it only happens with the stock shifter. When people went to an aftermarket then it went away. I may be wrong. I have the same problem and put an Hurst in a couple weeks ago. I'll be testing it when it gets colder!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sp44
I think if I remember correctly, it only happens with the stock shifter. When people went to an aftermarket then it went away. I may be wrong. I have the same problem and put an Hurst in a couple weeks ago. I'll be testing it when it gets colder!
Please make a mental note to update with any info.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

haha mine does it too. if i let the car warm for a few mins and i stay in second at about 2000rpm while leaving my neighborhood (not far really) it wont grind. my thought was to try and warm up the tranny by staying in second gear and driving at about 2000rpm's. give that a shot
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

Had the same issue on my 08 took it to the dealer they replaced the syncros and now it is doing it again.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadMike1337
haha mine does it too. if i let the car warm for a few mins and i stay in second at about 2000rpm while leaving my neighborhood (not far really) it wont grind. my thought was to try and warm up the tranny by staying in second gear and driving at about 2000rpm's. give that a shot
Yes this worked last year. Also when I leave work on the rare but cold days it would do it but not if I left it in 2nd for a while like you suggested.

So it seems to be "cold" related. But mine has now grinded quite a few times, I have not had time to get to the dealer. I worry now what other problems I may have caused!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yes, it is a known issue. I had the problem in my 2008 GT. the first time I took it in they replaced the synchros and that worked for a few months, but the problem came back. I took it back in and they replaced the entire transmission. That was at the beginning of the year. since it only happens the first time on a cold start, you have to drop off the car the night before and give them very specific instructions to duplicate the problem inthe morning. It was a PITA since they had the car a whole week the second time, but as I said, no problems since then.
Unfortunately, Ford likes to try to get out easy, so the first time they try to fix the symptoms (ie synchro replacement), but the second time they do the brute force method, because if you have to bring it in a third time for the same issue you have lemon laws on your side and they may have to buy the car back from you (based on the pro-rated value of the car the first time the problem was serviced by Ford).

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear GRIND!