Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dammit! Battery is dieing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Exactly the symptoms of my startup when my battery was gone. Put in a new battery and fires up right off the bat.

Mine lasted about 3 1/2 years in the FL heat.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Yep, i replaced my battery Sunday. got in the car and had the grrr, grrr, grrr before it fired up. Went right out and put a new optima in it. Interestingly I only got about five miles from Autozone where I bought the battery and had it installed before the check engine light came on. Weird coincidence that it came on right after a new batt and never did in the three months I owned the car before.

Had rough idle and threw a code for dirty TB. Sprayed some cleaner in and it looked like a mud slide coming out with all teh gunk. Runs like a beast now, I didn't realize how bad the throttle response was till I cleaned the TB out. Almost have to learn to drive it again, I've spun a few times on launch just trying to take off. Just about gave my four year old a heart attack in the rain today taking off, got side ways for a second. She through we were going to go to jail for "driving crazy". lol

anyway, new batt and the car is 4 years old.
What did that optima cost you?

Well I put a trickle charger on it, which has to be 20-30 years old, and it has been working fine ever since. The indicator light is green again. I think i'll replace it with an optima.

Hmmmm, maybe i'll look for an interstate or diehard. Optima seems like over kill.

Last edited by moosestang; 09-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Today I happened to see Optima Redtop 35R (I think it was what the store said our S197's take) on sale for $99 after a $25 mail-in rebate. It was at a Farm & Fleet store in the NW Chicago burbs. Is that the one that fits or does it require modification to shoehorn it in?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
What did that optima cost you?

Well I put a trickle charger on it, which has to be 20-30 years old, and it has been working fine ever since. The indicator light is green again. I think i'll replace it with an optima.

Hmmmm, maybe i'll look for an interstate or diehard. Optima seems like over kill.
Well, I'm not the shop around kind of guy so i was ready to buy and was at Autozone and just picked it up. I got the red top (I have no idea if they are all the same if they are red) for $189 before a $25 MIR I will never use. The batt fit fine, except I had to leave that wrap aroudn blanket thing off. which in Texas I realyl didn't see the need for anyway. I prolly paid more than i shoudl have, but again i didn't feel like shopping around when i wasn't sure if the car woudl start back up each time.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I knew the batteries in these cars weren't the greatest, but I was hoping for more than 3 years out of it! My car would barely start this morning. I thought, ok, it did sit for 6 days, but then after work it was the same deal, rrrrrr,rrrrrr, rrrrrr, click, click, rrrrrrrr. It finally fired up just when I was about to give up.

I read about so many bad batteries and alternator problems on here. I was hoping I was one of the lucky ones. My battery in my Ford ranger lastest nearly 7 years!
I just replaced mine last week, if I charged it, it would be good for a few days. 3yrs is it with these batteries.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope to get 7 years out of my
oem mustang battery.

My battery in my Ford ranger lastest nearly 7 years!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by hammeron
i hope to get 7 years out of my
oem mustang battery.
My buddy had one on his 69 Mach that lasted 9 years. Unheard of.
But it exploded when trying to leave from a cruise!!
Talk about freaking out, the thing was dry so no acid splashed around and hurt anything.
We still rinse the engine bay and top fenders to be safe...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if i start to read about our batteries exploding,
i think it will be relocation time to the trunk, with
a plastic shield of some sort.

Originally Posted by pascal

But it exploded when trying to leave from a cruise!! ..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Mustangshar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Well, I'm not the shop around kind of guy so i was ready to buy and was at Autozone and just picked it up. I got the red top (I have no idea if they are all the same if they are red) for $189 before a $25 MIR I will never use. The batt fit fine, except I had to leave that wrap aroudn blanket thing off. which in Texas I realyl didn't see the need for anyway. I prolly paid more than i shoudl have, but again i didn't feel like shopping around when i wasn't sure if the car woudl start back up each time.
My orig battery died this past March, even after having the battery tender jr., on it. But I had started to drive it a little and left the tender off for 3 days....died a slow death I'd say.

However I replaced it with a cheap battery and just bought my optima 34R today. I am going to order that cool battery tray on ebay and get it powdercoated next Spring. But I am looking forward to no surprises when Spring comes around and bought a cheapy battery meter so I can check it frequently this Winter.

But yeah, in Chicago..that battery lasted 2 years 2 months from my time of purchase of my 06..but the car build date was April 06 so perhaps looking at THAT date, it was almost 3 years to failure.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Mine discharged once over the first winter parked in the garage and never recovered. So we will see if the second one that was replaced under warranty lasts any longer.

Quick Reply: Dammit! Battery is dieing!