Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with roush rear springs only

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 PM
w1ck3dr1
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone with roush rear springs only

I plan on just replacing the rear springs just to level the car. i do not race and dont care for better handling. I just want to know if I do install the roush rear springs will I need camber bolts or an adjustable panhard bar. Tires are expensive and I would hate to have them wear faster.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:39 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

There is no camber adjustment for the back since it is a solid axle. You dont need a panhard bar or anything unless your axle is off to one side really bad. Just be careful with the ABS sensors if you take them off, they break real easy.

If you just changed the springs you will be good and you dont need an alignment or anything.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 PM
unleashedgt
1st Gear Member

I have the rear springs only and didnt need anything else at all..
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

I've got them and needed an adjustable panhard. Also went with new shocks. Then it was LCA relocation brackets. Then LCA's.

My rear wasn't exactly centered before hand, the slight drop did make it worse. The shocks were a preference, the rear bounced around too much with the OEMs. Then came the LCA issue, I wanted them level so bought the J&M relo kit. Stock arms did NOT work work with the pair they sent me (they basically told me I was wrong even though I tried with the OEM and GT500 lca's, so they tried with four sets...no more $ going their way) so I went with Che's.

So you'll fall somewhere between where I am and not needing anything
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

How did lowering affect the ride quality? Does the car take bumps bad now?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I HAD them as well. Needed an Adj Panhard par as well. Personally, The happiest day in my entire ownership of those springs, was the day I took the off. Rode like crap, imo.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
w1ck3dr1
2nd Gear Member

damn. well what kit has the lowest amount of lowering in the front and can level the back with the front? my driveway is pretty steep and i can barely make it without scraping because of my lip. any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

WOW, thanks for the honest reply Bob. Are there any lowering springs that don't make the car ride real harsh? I would like my rear end down a bit but not if the ride is gonna suffer.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 AM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
WOW, thanks for the honest reply Bob. Are there any lowering springs that don't make the car ride real harsh? I would like my rear end down a bit but not if the ride is gonna suffer.
Your definition of real harsh is most likely not the same as mine or the next guy.

I believe the Roushs are popular because they are spot on for leveling out the car. Any spring that gives less of a drop is not worth paying for, what exactly would be the point?

Any time you lower a car there are going to be differences in ride quality and handling, those that tell you otherwise probably can't tell the ride difference between a school bus and a BMW. Some can tolerate the difference, others can't.

A week after installing the springs I wanted to take them off due to the harshness or more specifically the unequalness. Concrete roads were unbearable, but back curvy roads were awesome. The rear end lost its tendency to roll over in corners, but added a tendency of 'rocking horse' front to rear. The spring rates in the front and rear are now different, so they both handle bumps differently, the front is mellow the rear bangs. If you don't want to lower all four corners, that's just how it's going to be.

Now after nearly a year everything is smoother, perhaps broken in. Maybe find a used set and try em out, the install is cake and if you hate em then take em out. Or find someone local with them and go for a ride.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scorpio333
Your definition of real harsh is most likely not the same as mine or the next guy.

I believe the Roushs are popular because they are spot on for leveling out the car. Any spring that gives less of a drop is not worth paying for, what exactly would be the point?

Any time you lower a car there are going to be differences in ride quality and handling, those that tell you otherwise probably can't tell the ride difference between a school bus and a BMW. Some can tolerate the difference, others can't.

A week after installing the springs I wanted to take them off due to the harshness or more specifically the unequalness. Concrete roads were unbearable, but back curvy roads were awesome. The rear end lost its tendency to roll over in corners, but added a tendency of 'rocking horse' front to rear. The spring rates in the front and rear are now different, so they both handle bumps differently, the front is mellow the rear bangs. If you don't want to lower all four corners, that's just how it's going to be.

Now after nearly a year everything is smoother, perhaps broken in. Maybe find a used set and try em out, the install is cake and if you hate em then take em out. Or find someone local with them and go for a ride.
I second that . What scorpio3333 said. I have the Roush rear only with CHE LCA's and Adjustable CHE panhard bar. I also had to recenter the rearend after the drop. Car hooks up great with no rear wheel hop but the ride does suck. Rear wants tpo dance around on uneven roads and ride is harsher than stock springs. I am hoping to cure all that. I heard great things aboutr Koni SRT.T shocks and front struts. I just ordered a set of rears. Price is reasonable $66.00 from Jegs. Couple of the other Mustang forums had a good bit to say about the Koni's. One guy stated that just replacing the rears with Koni made all the difference in the ride,this was also rear only lowered car. I know the Koni's must be better than the stock shocks.

Quick Reply: anyone with roush rear springs only