Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB spacer vs. no Tb spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Better of saving for the whine that attracts women!
Supercharger
ya, I wish. Don't have anywhere near the funds for super charger, and I'm not heading to the track. After getting the basics(cai, exhaust) I think I'll head toward handling
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by squawskier1080
ya, I wish. Don't have anywhere near the funds for super charger, and I'm not heading to the track. After getting the basics(cai, exhaust) I think I'll head toward handling
I cant even afford the basics yet
Boom tubes probably coming soon but CAI will be a while. Being 20 and making <20k a year sucks...
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

I totally understand. I'm 18 and not making much of a killing either, lucky I was able to find my 05 for 14k, barely in my price range. I probably won't be able to get the basics till next summer when I can work full time again, and who knows on suspension and handling mods...could be a while. I just like to dream
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I am glad to see that the word is getting out about those damn worthless spacers.

if on a budget, keep it to the basics. For about $600 you can bolt on about +20 RWHP (tuner & CAI). another $600-800 can squeeze about another +15 RWHP with mufflers and headers

just keep at it...a blower doesn't happen overnight, but if you keep an eye out, you can find some screaming deals

thread hijack

got a question for you guys in the 18-25 range...how the hell do you afford insurance?

I had a V-6 1995 Mustang at 18 and my insurance was more than the car payment...and that was with me being married.

It wasn't until I was 25 with a perfect record & the wife that i could afford a Stang. have rates gone down that much?

sorry, hijack over
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I am glad to see that the word is getting out about those damn worthless spacers.

if on a budget, keep it to the basics. For about $600 you can bolt on about +20 RWHP (tuner & CAI). another $600-800 can squeeze about another +15 RWHP with mufflers and headers

just keep at it...a blower doesn't happen overnight, but if you keep an eye out, you can find some screaming deals

thread hijack

got a question for you guys in the 18-25 range...how the hell do you afford insurance?

I had a V-6 1995 Mustang at 18 and my insurance was more than the car payment...and that was with me being married.

It wasn't until I was 25 with a perfect record & the wife that i could afford a Stang. have rates gone down that much?

sorry, hijack over
Ya, my plan is to keep it to the basics, once I get some extra coin (I know a guy with a tuner that I think will work so that's a nice bonus ). As far as muffs and headers, does that really boost 15 hp? I know the headers would be helpful, but I heard exhaust is basically sound, no power. Also, just wondering how much of a difference does x pipe vs. h pipe make?

as far as insurance...it's horrible. Runs me like 250 a month w/ a clean record. But being 18 I've still got about a year before I'm kicked outa the nest and have to worry about rent, so insurance is like a warm up for rent. haha
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

exhaust alone = nothing HP/TQ wise

Exhaust (Headers + tune) = 15-20 HP on average. removing the cats can help some as well...but it's illegal as hell and not something I will do personally.

like everything, if you do something 1/2 ***'d, you get crap results and usually end up spending alot more $$$ in the long-term. do it properly 1 time, and you can see nice gains for not alot of money.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

IMO only someone who's had or has a TB spacer on an 05+ Mustang GT is qualified to answer. I do and here's my $.02: I can't speak for any hp/tq numbers, but even with a tune my throttle response was sluggish from idle to 2K. The TB spacer resolved that. It's now razor sharp at any RPM from idle to redline.

Last edited by MTAS; 09-30-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
IMO only someone who's had or has a TB spacer on an 05+ Mustang GT is qualified to answer.
do you even understand the principles of how a TB Spacer works? feel free to google it.

In plain english, a TB Spacer doesn't work on EFI vehicles. They do work on Carb'd vehicles.

They are a Snake Oil product. If you are lucky, they do nothing to your car. Sometimes they make things worse.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
IMO only someone who's had or has a TB spacer on an 05+ Mustang GT is qualified to answer. I do and here's my $.02: I can't speak for any hp/tq numbers, but even with a tune my throttle response was sluggish from idle to 2K. The TB spacer resolved that. It's not razor sharp at any RPM from idle to redline.
If I wash my car after it's really dirty, it's more responsive and quicker. Therefore, washing my car = installing a TB spacer

I'll wash my car in lieu of installing a TB spacer. Not only will it be quicker, it'll be more shiney and it's cheaper.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Tylus
do you even understand the principles of how a TB Spacer works? feel free to google it.

In plain english, a TB Spacer doesn't work on EFI vehicles. They do work on Carb'd vehicles.

They are a Snake Oil product. If you are lucky, they do nothing to your car. Sometimes they make things worse.
bingo, its placebo effect for making you think you just didnt waste $100 bones on a paperweight

Quick Reply: TB spacer vs. no Tb spacer