Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another (battery) bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Another (battery) bites the dust

A couple times now the car has inexplicably refused to start and needed to be jumped. Sat for just a 3-4 days. I know I didn't leave anything on. First time was a year ago. Jumped it and after that was careful to turn the Shaker off before I shut the car off or opened the doors. Was fine for quite some time.

Last week the car had been sitting a few days and it did this to me again. Not sure if I didn't turn the shaker off this time or what. The battery is now trashed completely and won't hold a charge.

What's the best approach here? Just call up the dealer and explain, ask to bring it in? Car still has coverage until November for the bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I think battery and tires are excluded from the bumper to bumper deal.
I could be wrong though.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some here have received replacement batteries from their dealer. I'm sure it's hit or miss. Although I doubt your dealer will bite, it's worth a shot. But like Pascal said, batteries are considered much like tires; as a consumable.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yah I kinda think it's owed to me since the battery only made it 3 years. That's terrible. Not to mention the reason it didn't last is because of a design flaw in the car.

If they won't give me a replacement then I'll just get a diehard.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

My battery was replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty. I don't think there is any exclusion for the battery. If it fails within the warranty period, it is generally considered to be defective. If you have added a killer sound system or some such thing, then maybe not. My car is stock.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Three years is a long time for our POS batteries, which are charged by an extra-POS alternator. I lost my first battery after 15,000 miles or so.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Just talked to the dealer this morning. They will load test and if it fails replace the battery. They were aware of the TSB for this and mentioned to me that these cars are "notorious" for this problem and are not made to be stored.

Some day I may go ahead and replace the Shaker stereo to see if that completely fixes this. If a new battery only makes it 3 years I may go ahead and do that then along with a diehard.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I changed the alt to a pa performance alt after the stock alt was over volting the stock battery and finally killed the battery. I replaced the battery to a autolite with a 3 yr replacement warranty. Batteries for our cars are like 70-80 i think.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Well I'm hitting that 3 year mark, I've only owned it for 2 but, its already showing signs of an imminent failure

Bummer.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Yah I kinda think it's owed to me since the battery only made it 3 years. That's terrible. Not to mention the reason it didn't last is because of a design flaw in the car.

If they won't give me a replacement then I'll just get a diehard.
factory batteries are cheep. My last new car battery lasted a little over 2 years before showing signs of weakness. I just changed it out with a 72 month from an auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Another (battery) bites the dust