Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Also would an H pipe or X pipe help at all? And if so will either cause drone?
I appreciate it!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

the roush axle-back is a great choice if you want a drone-less sound!

also, not to hijack the thread, but does installing a catted H or X pipe detract from any hp gained by a full exhaust setup with o/r pipes?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Going to a midpipe with high flow cats or O/R will gain you some decent HP and MUCH louder sound. My car is several times louder with the high flow cats that come with my Kooks header package.

I blew through one of my high flow cats before installing it and it was almost like blowing through a straight pipe like the cat wasn't even there. It's crazy. I then blew through my stock cat once they were off and it was like blowing through a wad of socks. Those things are actually a pretty big restriction. Of course it's obvious that's the case by just hearing how different they sound. Stock cats suck!

Oh also, you'll need a tune if you got an O/R midpipe due to the rear o2's not seeing the cats anymore. You'll throw a CEL. You'll probably be fine with high flows.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FreshPuck
also, not to hijack the thread, but does installing a catted H or X pipe detract from any hp gained by a full exhaust setup with o/r pipes?

No. Brenspeed told me that with the high flows that come from Kooks (and probably most others), there's about a 1% difference in HP between them and an O/R pipe (and that's on a 600HP car!).
Old 10-01-2009, 06:28 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Going to a midpipe with high flow cats or O/R will gain you some decent HP and MUCH louder sound. My car is several times louder with the high flow cats that come with my Kooks header package.

I blew through one of my high flow cats before installing it and it was almost like blowing through a straight pipe like the cat wasn't even there. It's crazy. I then blew through my stock cat once they were off and it was like blowing through a wad of socks. Those things are actually a pretty big restriction. Of course it's obvious that's the case by just hearing how different they sound. Stock cats suck!

Oh also, you'll need a tune if you got an O/R midpipe due to the rear o2's not seeing the cats anymore. You'll throw a CEL. You'll probably be fine with high flows.
Do the high flow cat's make the exhaust drone anymore?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
No. Brenspeed told me that with the high flows that come from Kooks (and probably most others), there's about a 1% difference in HP between them and an O/R pipe (and that's on a 600HP car!).
thanks! The kooks headers w/ catted H-Pipe is actually exactly what im looking into! Can't wait to get those on order!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ09GT

Hmm, well since my boomtubes don't have your typical drone (which sounds like MMMMMMMMM) like stingers, etc do anyway it's hard for me to say. It is louder all over; idle, crusie, WOT, ....

I thought I remember reading how some say drone was decreased with high flows or O/R but I can't remember for sure.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Not trying to jack the thread, the OP could use the info also.

I am looking at the pypes cut and clamp x pipe ( http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-0509-v8-xpipe.html ). Is there anything to be gained from this if it is left behind the stock cats? I am guessing the only difference would be the sound. I know I should look at the high flow cats, but I cant swing the price right now and thought this might be a decent alternative.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

I have the FRPP version of the Borla Stingers, they do drone. But it doesnt bother me. My old roommate has a 08 Shelby GT with the GTAs and a X pipe, and it is personally a little to raspy for my taste. But he really likes it, and it doesnt drone. In the next 2 weeks i should have my Pypes longtube headers, and catted H pipe installed. From what i can tell, and from talking to Brenspeed the Pypes headers are almost identical to the Kooks for half the price. I would also like to note that the sound of my exhaust may sound different due to im also going to have the Comp XFI NSR Stage 2 cams installed at the same time. But i will post a video for those who would like to hear it.

bluovalguy:
As far as the bolt on X pipe, you may see a very small gain, but it is mostly for sound.

Last edited by moburto07GT; 10-02-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ09GT
When i installed my Long tubes/ hi flow cats the drone did get noticeably louder

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Header Question