Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust/Header Question

Ok I am READY to buy my axle back/catback exhaust, I am past the point of shopping. I am looking for an aggressive sound WITHOUT DRONE. My car is a stock GT, this axleback will be my first MOD (To follow - Headers,Intake/Tune). The only thing I don't want is drone (I had dual flow 40's on my monte carlo and my car vibrated so much I was waiting for screws to back out and my headliner to fall), even though the sound outside was incredible for a v6 - I DONT WANT drone.

First, Would gains be more significant with catback or axleback? Is it worth the $$ to get the axleback? If I am considering headers as well - Whats the route I want to go?

So far here are my choices I have

1-GTA Axlebacks
2-Borla catback

I would like to get some HP gains, I am willing to do some midpipes ect, but I can't afford to go overboard here. I don't know much about the exhausts on these Mustangs. Does someone have a diagram even so I can understand? Appreciate all the help
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

There is no reason to get a catback over the axleback, the stock over axle pipes are fine, and getting the catback would be a waste of money.

If you dont want drone, stay away from the stingers, as i can tell you first hand they drone pretty good. The GTA's on the other hand are a better choice if you dont want drone.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

+1

There are no gains to be had in catback or axelback mods. Stock exhaust already flows well.

I still like high-flow cats on this car though. The exhaust gets louder and more agressive without affecting drone. Think about a catted-H or catted-X pipe.

For good no-drone sound in mufflers, your choices are Corsas or GTAs. I prefer GTB's to GTAs. The GTBs are less common. GTBs are the mufflers that come on the Bullitt. GTAs come on Shelbys.

DO NOT GET BORLAS. The Borla Stinger is quite possibly the most droning muffler you can put on this car.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

magnaflow is another quiet muffler look into those. borlas do drone and you will not be happy with them, although i love them!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Dantheman

If you want sound go with a Pypes mid muffler setup. It is affordable and the mufflers are a lightweight sraight through glass pack style muffler. I just installed a o/r x pipe with the mid muffler system. It is crazy loud under acceleration but no drone. IMO this system on our cars sounds like the 03-04 Cobra 4 valve motor. You won't believe how good this system sounds. I also picked up some noticeable power. But you have to do a tune with this to get the most sound and power potential. Brenspeed has a good deal on these with free shipping.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I have LTs, OR X, and Pypes mid-mufflers (M-80s) and the setup sounds great. I had stingers on my car (before the LTs and OR X) and it droned. I added the LTs and OR X and it droned more.

If you plan on getting the Pypes some people suggest to just buy a set of M-80s from Summit or JEGS or wherever and just get an exhaust shop to weld them in. It will give you the same sound as the Pypes system without the hassle of a possible bad fitment. Mine Pypes fit pretty well though.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Dantheman

Hey,Jasper I'm in Clermont, not too far from you. Yea my system was a real PIA to install. I still haven't been able to get the tips aligned properly. The passenger side hangs noticeably more than the driver's. I'm going to ditch the stock hangers and come up with my own to get them aligned i guess.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
There is no reason to get a catback over the axleback, the stock over axle pipes are fine, and getting the catback would be a waste of money.

If you dont want drone, stay away from the stingers, as i can tell you first hand they drone pretty good. The GTA's on the other hand are a better choice if you dont want drone.
+1 on the no stingers if you don't like drone, however, from your future mod list, may i suggest getting the tune before the headers. the reason being when you put the headers on you will have to get the tune anyways, otherwise it will throw off the cpu so you are looking at buying the headers and the tune at the same time, which is no small amount of money. i would do the intake/tune first because you will see more gains and whenever you get the headers they can just update the tune, also i wouldn't waste money on a local tune just get one from bama or brenspeed, work better then a local for a fifth the price
Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Nothing other than straight pipes beyond the H-pipe will gain you anything and even then, IF you get any performance gain it'll be very minor. The stock exhaust flows fine. And +1 that there's no sense getting a catback over an axleback.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks all.

Yeah I'm looking at a jlt or c&l intake with bamaspeed or brenspeed tune. Those will come before headers of course, this is over a period of time as well.

I appreciate alllllll the help. I am really leaning towards gta axlebacks...they seem to be what I am looking for - a little more sound without the drone. Now I was looking into Pypes mid-pipes, but are they worth it? I am not looking to make this a race car- this is a daily driver.... Also are high flow cats worth it?

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Header Question