Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Headlight Keeps Going Off....help...new harness? Lightbulb swapped twice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default My Headlight Keeps Going Off....help...new harness? Lightbulb swapped twice

Hey I have a small problem.

I had an issue with my passenger headlights going off while driving after a few minutes....I went to take out the bulb which fell apart and the harness start smoking really bad from there. I was able to get the rest of it out. I plug in a Sylvania light bulb I had for my car and the lightbulb turned on and then dimmed off right away......what does that mean? Everytime after I have to either use my highbeams since both work or use just my fogs (which aren't that good for seeing)

Bad enough I have those black caps in my headlights....on another topic but quick question as well......how do I removed them without opening them up? Long-nose plier? I'm willing to try that

I have a feeling that my headlight harness is damaged, replacing it? I'm not sure how to but don't want to have to pay ford to do it.......is it an easy

Let me know if you've had this problem...I should fix it this weekend so I can order the part tomorrow or friday.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
Hey I have a small problem.

I had an issue with my passenger headlights going off while driving after a few minutes....I went to take out the bulb which fell apart and the harness start smoking really bad from there. I was able to get the rest of it out. I plug in a Sylvania light bulb I had for my car and the lightbulb turned on and then dimmed off right away......what does that mean? Everytime after I have to either use my highbeams since both work or use just my fogs (which aren't that good for seeing)
the stang want to see both headlights or it shuts off the working one to indicate a burned out headlight.

Bad enough I have those black caps in my headlights....on another topic but quick question as well......how do I removed them without opening them up? Long-nose plier? I'm willing to try that
negative
the black caps is what keeps YOUR headlights from blinding ME.
Its there for a purpose. Please dont remove it unless you live
states away from me...

I have a feeling that my headlight harness is damaged, replacing it? I'm not sure how to but don't want to have to pay ford to do it.......is it an easy
its an easy thing to do but discovering what caused the
damage in the first will be the hardest.
The harness just plugs into the bottom of the BEC and
goes out to connectors from there...

Let me know if you've had this problem...I should fix it this weekend so I can order the part tomorrow or friday.
see above in bold
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

that's weird but i changed both bulbs and swapped them and the passenger one still goes out.

yeah i know, well in the boonies by me, you need high beams or actual lights. I've parked next to a 2007 Mustang without them and they have so much more visibility and light output (and it comes like that on a 2007)

Thanks....may just get a new harness