Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Butt ugly antena

Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I wish they made this look more streamlined. I don't like how it has a "base" and then turns into the thinner part.
Ya I know what you mean. I didn't like the "bullet" shape of NickelDime's antenna and there aren't a whole lot of options right now.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I actually removed my antenna completely and put a chrome plated 5mm pan (hex-type) head screw in it.

Reception isn't a problem for me, though for many it is (I've heard stories about the poor reception this system receives.)

Why remove it? Mainly because where I park, I back it into a space with a loft overhang, and the antenna doesn't clear under it. Sure I could park it hood first, but that's not my thing.

And, to me, it looks fine. Though it wouldn't had I just left an open screw hole. The dome shaped top chrome plated hex screw adds the touch.

I think it was FordEngineer who posted the undocumented procedure on how to test your audio signal:

"Put the radio in AM mode, then press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds (a speaker test will begin). Before that test is complete, pressing the #3 preset button will give you AM/FM antenna signal strength. To exit this diagnostic mode, turn the radio off, then back on."

So compare the signal with and without the antenna, point being.

OK - I'm ready - blast away on me for this 'mod' -- as I know some will just think this (as the thread title says) is just butt ugly.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
I actually removed my antenna completely and put a chrome plated 5mm pan (hex-type) head screw in it.

Reception isn't a problem for me, though for many it is (I've heard stories about the poor reception this system receives.)

Why remove it? Mainly because where I park, I back it into a space with a loft overhang, and the antenna doesn't clear under it. Sure I could park it hood first, but that's not my thing.

And, to me, it looks fine. Though it wouldn't had I just left an open screw hole. The dome shaped top chrome plated hex screw adds the touch.

I think it was FordEngineer who posted the undocumented procedure on how to test your audio signal:

"Put the radio in AM mode, then press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds (a speaker test will begin). Before that test is complete, pressing the #3 preset button will give you AM/FM antenna signal strength. To exit this diagnostic mode, turn the radio off, then back on."

So compare the signal with and without the antenna, point being.

OK - I'm ready - blast away on me for this 'mod' -- as I know some will just think this (as the thread title says) is just butt ugly.
Okay, I'll bite. It sounds freakin butt ugly! Might be okay if you were from Oklahoma
Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Okay, I'll bite. It sounds freakin butt ugly! Might be okay if you were from Oklahoma
Actually, with the larger head fastener I used, it gives the appearance of it being a retractable antenna, always in the down position.

But ... after seeing some of the shorty antennas in this thread, I'll probably get one.

Guess I'm rationalizing how it looks just so I can park in comfort (damn loft overhang.) And with the reception being OK, it isn't driving me to change real quick.

BTW, what about Oklahoma that has you ******* them? (I'm far from there, anyway.)

Last edited by 7up; 10-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I wish they made this look more streamlined. I don't like how it has a "base" and then turns into the thinner part.

Check this one out from ebay...

Item # 200391787814

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200391787814

I might look into trying it -- nice, smooth progression.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
BTW, what about Oklahoma that has you ******* them? (I'm far from there, anyway.)
I have a friend that lives in Oklahoma. He is always ragging on us out here on the left coast and I always tell him that since he lives in Oklahoma he can give up his dental plan. Just funin thats all........
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

10GTPony, do you know if they make a power antenna for the Mustang?

I had an SVT Focus a few years back and it had a super tall and very ugly antenna on the roof. I took it off and ordered a short billet antenna on ebay. It worked well, perhaps a little less reception, but I hardly ever use AM or FM since I mostly listen to CD or MP3. I just ordered my Mustang last week and I already have been on the web and purchased a shorty billet replacement antenna.

The bigger thing that I don't like is that Ford put the satellite radio antenna right in the middle of the trunk. I ordered the car with the over the top stripes and the dang satellite antenna is going to be a big black blop right in the middle of my nice white stripes! Oh well.......
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I have a friend that lives in Oklahoma. He is always ragging on us out here on the left coast and I always tell him that since he lives in Oklahoma he can give up his dental plan. Just funin thats all........

Regional humor ... love it!

All in all, I'd have to say I like the 'shark fin' antennas best on an appropriate styled car.

Having said that, I'm not sure they'd do justice to a Mustang.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

10GTPony, do you know if they make a power antenna for the Mustang?

I had an SVT Focus a few years back and it had a super tall and very ugly antenna on the roof. I took it off and ordered a short billet antenna on ebay. It worked well, perhaps a little less reception, but I hardly ever use AM or FM since I mostly listen to CD or MP3. I just ordered my Mustang last week and I already have been on the web and purchased a shorty billet replacement antenna.

The bigger thing that I don't like is that Ford put the satellite radio antenna right in the middle of the trunk. I ordered the car with the over the top stripes and the dang satellite antenna is going to be a big black blop right in the middle of my nice white stripes! Oh well.......

Can't say that I know if a power antenna is made for the current crop of Mustangs.

I had one once (on a non-Ford vehicle), and there were all kinds of problems with it -- the retractable gear strip was a plastic material, and over time, the teeth would break. Thus, the antenna wouldn't fully retract (or extend).

Unless technology has advanced in retractable antennas, I'd be wary of installing one.

Additionally, you'd need to so some significant modifications to install one, as there has to be a motor installed below the sheet metal where the antenna mount sits. Not to mention you'd need to tap into a power source to run the motor.

I forget if the extension/retraction of retractable antennas are automatically activated with the power on/off of the radio.

But installing an antenna right in the middle of your stripes? That's blasphemy!! What's Ford thinking?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 AM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Angry

Your Blasphemy!!! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Butt ugly antena