Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys keep from curbing your chins??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default How do you guys keep from curbing your chins??

Kinda a dumb question but Im longing for a chin spoiler and/or lowering my car but i know i will curb it within a week. It seems i frequently pull up an inch or two over the curb without realizing it. Do you guys just make sure to be extra careful or does anyone have some kinda range finder/camera setup to alert you when your too close?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Even tho my car isn't lowered (yet) i still have issues with my chin spoiler being close enough to scrap, it is only about 4.5-5 inches off the ground. So I normally back into any parking space that has any kind of curb. (As you can see in my sig) As far as driving or going over bumps, i just make sure im extra careful.

Last edited by moburto07GT; 10-11-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:14 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

I have cheese grated mine a half dozen times getting in and out of driveways. I wanted a chin spoiler real bad but knew there would be issues. That is why I went with the GT500 chin spoiler. It is cheap to buy and only takes a few hours to modify. So if I mess it up, well I'll just buy another one and cut it up.

But as you drive with a chin spoiler, you learn not to pull to far up in parking lot spaces with the cement curbs. You will learn how to look at a driveway and say NOPE... NOT ME...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Do you guys just make sure to be extra careful or does anyone have some kinda range finder/camera setup to alert you when your too close?
Your car doesn't have the range finder on the front. Damn, may want to read your manual to learn how to activate it.

But in case your just don't have that option you may want to just learn to drive. If that still isn't an option. May I suggest you get some curb feelers.

Last edited by Boozshey; 10-11-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Studnike13

I have my lowered with that chin, and its tough but I just make a mental not to pull all the way into a parking spot. Or i back into a spot 80% of the time. That takes care of the problem most of the time.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I made the mistake of installing mine over the winter (it is not a DD) and one of the first I drove it in the spring, totally forgot about it being installed and scraped it up pretty bad including cracked paint. Just spent a couple hours yesterday finally sanding it down and now it is going back to the painters when my hood goes in.

So from now on, I either need to pay attention or keep it off the car
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Your car doesn't have the range finder on the front. Damn, may want to read your manual to learn how to activate it.

But in case your just don't have that option you may want to just learn to drive. If that still isn't an option. May I suggest you get some curb feelers.

Dude, your joking right... range finder from ford? never heard of it.

When i get my car back i plan on putting my old back up camera in the front cause i got another one out of insurance. Ill post up when i get it done
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

i back in whenever i can, yes i have curbed it and it sucks. I try to make a conscience effort to remember how low it is.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Measure the distance from ground to spoiler, that will give you a visual idea of what bumps you can or cant go over. As for scratching while pulling into a place, just be aware that is out there and practice parking 8-10 inches away
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Kinda a dumb question but Im longing for a chin spoiler and/or lowering my car but i know i will curb it within a week. It seems i frequently pull up an inch or two over the curb without realizing it. Do you guys just make sure to be extra careful or does anyone have some kinda range finder/camera setup to alert you when your too close?

Well you need to be careful regardless of what you have anyway - I have a Carbon Fiber Front Diffuser on mine and that will scrape occasionally, BUT that's better then scraping the chin

Quick Reply: How do you guys keep from curbing your chins??